Navigation system for X3...

jsinger

I just purchased a x3. I should be getting it in a few days!

I'm interested in getting a navigation system for it but would like to find an option that will provide a clean install. Ideally I would still be able to use the steering wheel controls and not have to replace the stock cd player, etc... and still be able to use the "ipod" upgrade when its available.

I'm particularly interested in the Pioneer AVIC-N1 or the Alpine NVE-N852A. I have the Alpine system in another car and am familiar with it, but I'm very interested in the Pioneer. Basically I'd like to now which system will integrate cleanly with the X3 dash.

Thanks!

Jeff

asad

Pioneer navigation is an excellent system - professional installer is recommended - word of warning - BMW electronics are a complicated interface and any tampering can result in electronics failure - be sure to select best nav system as retail value drops ++ when you uninstall.

I have used Pioneer - very accurate and provides interesting drive - I now have the BMW system as part of the communications pack in my new X5 4.4i 2004, and feel that this system is more user freindly and faster !! Why not go for manufacturer system - could save a headache !

Good luck

jsinger

I just got back from the location where I'll be having the nav system installed. I'm planning on getting the Pioneer system (I have the Alpine in another car and the Pioneer sounds more interesting to me at the moment). I had two options for my X3:

Option 1:
The AVIC-N1 in the dash, replacing the stock stereo in the X3. It would fit in-dash. At the moment there are no "fillers" to fill in the gaps. They contacted one of the manufactures that makes the "fillers" (forget what they are called) and they are supposed to have one for the X3 in a couple months. The problems I see with this option is I won't be able to "ipod my bmw." I also don't think it will look all that clean given the different material used for the "filler" and the AVIC itself. But the monitor will hid away nicely. I will also likely need to get an additional CD player because it would be annoying to have to swap out the nav dvd every time I want a new route.

Option 2:
Getting the AVIC-88DVD + NAV-SYS620T monitor (basically the same as the AVIC-N1 just in two parts. Lacks DVD playback which isn't a big deal).
The biggest problem I see with this is that the monitor needs to go on top of the dash so it is out all the time. They will sink it down as low as possible, but it will always be out. My concerns are how it will look and safety (from thiefs... given that its always in view). I like this way because I will still have the stock stereo functionality and can still "ipod my bmw." The ipod isn't really THAT big of a deal, but its something I would like.

So my question is, has anyone had it done like option 2? How does it look with the monitor always out? Does it look like a "rigged" installation or does it look clean? Anyone have pictures of their setup?

Opinions and other options welcome!

Thanks!

Jeff

asad

Dash mount will look rigged - it has a large lead coming out of the dash board mount that will either have to pass in to the dash board (drilling a hole !) or stuck to the out side.

You cannot watch DVD movies with the 88 DVD - can with AVIC + with nav still activated.

Good luck.