New 2008 4.8i, Let's try our luck again

So, my "Launch Supply" 2007 X5 3.0si was a real disaster last year. Love the X5 still, so now that the initial bugs have been addressed...I stepped up to the 4.8i. Totally amazing, it is a rocket! First time too...Alpine White (well I had a beater 89 Alpine White 325i, but that doesn't really count).

My Christmas gift:

2008 X5 4.8i
Alpine White, Black Napa Leather, Bamboo wood
Premium Pkg
Sport Pkg
20" wheels
Cold Weather Pkg
Technology Pkg (Navi, rear camera, f&r park distance control)
Sirius
Automatic Liftgate
iPod kit

Here are some of the worst pics I have ever taken (in the garage at night to boot!). At least you get the idea. Loving the white!!!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and wish ya'll a beautiful 2008. Our Board is really awesome, and I enjoy everyone a lot!

Sweet ride. Gotta admit, never cared for the previous gen. X5 but there's something about this one that is really alluring. Love those 20s; the new model just looks so beefy. Have been giving serious thought to picking one up -- I'm at that point where an SUV is making more sense. How do you like the pick-up on this bad boy? Haven't read or see any specs, and havent driven one yet? How's the build quality?, plastics look really great. Any squeeks/rattles? I just built one on bmwusa.com with 21" in rims and aero kit -- best looking SUV on the planet, IMO. But she ain't cheap. We'll see what bonus season brings [paranoid]

Thanks Dan & Kriby!! [cheers]

Wallie05 (Mark), we actually had 2 last generation X5s, and they were both great. The new one 2007/2008 is better in almost every way. The build quality is amazing for 2008, and all plastics, leather, rubbers, wood, seals, cloths, etc., etc. are excellent. Everything you touch in the car (and outside) feels perfectly crafted and engineered.

Acceleration is lighting fast, not complaining, but it is SO hard to keep the speed at 35 or 40mph (which is the speed limit on most side streets here). The 4.8i just wants to hit 60mph instantly, and the cabin is SO well insulated, you just fly by. What's amazing is that as quiet/insulated as the interior is, the engine is so throaty, and the growl is heard all thru the rpm range. It sounds like a monster under the hood/bonnet...you can feel it. Love it.

I agree, the X5 is not cheap, and I think BMW really needs to make more options part of a better priced package (like Mercedes' Premium I or II pkg.). With BMW, once you start adding all the goodies that we want (but of course don't need:)...the price for the 4.8i quickly hits $70k.

I think you will feel like you got your money's worth. I also priced, and drove the Range Rover HSE and Supercharged RR, the Mercedes G500 and the GL550...and I agree with you...the new X5 just looks great from every angle. It's very aggressive and demands major road presence!!! As you can see...I'm a fan, and proud new owner!

Congrats, I remember your ordeal last year.... what a pain. Looks good, I too love the white.... my Mom's E30 is actually an 89 Alpine White 325i, but it's not a beater like yours apparently was! Far from it (only 73,000kms!)

It almost looks like the side mirrors and door handles would be better off being black if the bumpers are black. Just my thoughts... it's still looks good though. Any thoughts on getting the bumpers painted to match the body color?

Hamann does some nice things to the X5 these days.

Congrats, I remember your ordeal last year.... what a pain. Looks good, I too love the white.... my Mom's E30 is actually an 89 Alpine White 325i, but it's not a beater like yours apparently was! Far from it (only 73,000kms!)

It almost looks like the side mirrors and door handles would be better off being black if the bumpers are black. Just my thoughts... it's still looks good though. Any thoughts on getting the bumpers painted to match the body color?

Hamann does some nice things to the X5 these days.
Thanks! The side mirrors are 1/2 Alpine white, and the bottom is black. I personally love the door handles that match the paint. IMO, black handles would draw attention to an item that is pure function, not really a style attribute, or something cool.

The bumpers have integrated Park Distance control, so I think painting them white would be very $$$, and the black offers some security against nicks and dents if some idiot hits, or rubs against the bumpers in a parking lot or something.

Beautiful car Deutsch, love the tint. I want to tint my 335i, think I should make the drive to Sherman Oaks for Sunshield? Coming from the San Gabriel Valley.. Also, what did you roughly cost? I've been quoted from $110 to $220. My main concern is the matrix dots on the rear windshield where air is trapped. It looks pretty bad during the day hence my worries.

Any advice is appreciated!

Btw, Glad you dropped the E350. =)

Beautiful car Deutsch, love the tint. I want to tint my 335i, think I should make the drive to Sherman Oaks for Sunshield? Coming from the San Gabriel Valley.. Also, what did you roughly cost? I've been quoted from $110 to $220. My main concern is the matrix dots on the rear windshield where air is trapped. It looks pretty bad during the day hence my worries.

Any advice is appreciated!

Btw, Glad you dropped the E350. =)

Hey Nav,

The E350 Sport was actually a great car for the 5 or so months I had it. Never needed any service, no warning lights, computer glitches, etc.. But when I saw my Alpine white 4.8i....it was drool at first sight.

Actually, the pics you see don't have any tint yet. I have the rear climate pkg. option on my X5, that comes with factory black/heavily smoked glass in all rear windows.

I did though have 35% 3M ceramic tint done last week on the 2 front windows (mainly just to keep UV rays off my skin, and let the A/C work better in summer). Since the leather is black, all windows look darker.

We've used Sunshield for 10+ years, but the last 2-3 cars we used Tint Masters in Canoga Park/Woodland Hills. I actually think their work is better. No lint specks, no dot matrix, flawless!!

Miss the mpg the E350 gave me though (a solid 20-22mpg). My God, Chevorn better send me a flippin' fruit basket for giving them so much business with this X5 4.8i. City mpg is about 10mpg, sometimes 6-8mpg!! Really! Highway does give about 18-19mpg, so not too bad. I feel so un-enviornmental[:(] At least my X5 met CA's stringent ULEV status! He he

CosmosBlack

Hey, how did I miss this one?
Nice ride, Adam! Congratulations and hope all is going well with it!

Are we gonna see the new M3 in your garage in the near future??

Hey, how did I miss this one?
Nice ride, Adam! Congratulations and hope all is going well with it!

Are we gonna see the new M3 in your garage in the near future??
Thanks a lot Kenny!

I like the new M3, but IMO, it just looks too much like a 335i coupe w/sport package. I still think the E46 M3 is the best!!

Being a dad, I for sure see the practiciality of the SUV/SAV [:)]

Thanks for the heads up Adam. I might just use them. Do you know how much they roughly charge? =)

Btw, who needs the new M3 when you can chip and boost your turbos to smoke any M3 or Porsche? =)