New Bimmer & new to this forum / Run-flat tires question

Paul 330

Hi everybody, glad to join this forum.

I have driven a silver 330i since 2002, love the car, never a problem, and
I just got a new 2006 330i Sparkling Graphite Metallic, black leather with
Sport and Premium packages.

This new bimmer is amazing. From the moment I saw it at the nearest
BMW dealer, our “old” bimmer started looking older and smaller.

I only drove it for a few miles, enough to experience the huge driving
difference. The ride is quiet, the power increase of the new engine is
noticeable, the cockpit is roomier and best of all, this new version
feels sporty as always.

I’m going to read the owner’s manual this weekend to get familiar
with the controls, audio system, etc., but I have 2 questions I’d like
to have answered before I rate my dealer as “5-points” in the soon to come
BMW satisfaction survey.

Questions:

1) When I signed the leasing papers, the accounting person pushed to sell
me a “tire insurance contact”, saying that this new Run-Flat tires cannot
be fixed but need to be replaced if I run through a nail, etc.
Cost of insurance is $350, which is also the cost of a single tire.

The way he put it, it seemed that what before was a repair at the tire store
may become now a $350 tire replacement. I cannot believe BMW would
install these tires if they were a headache waiting to happen.
Was it just an exaggerated sales pitch?
Can anybody share any information on these tires and what to expect?
Should I buy the warranty? In my 3 years with the old bimmer I had 2 flat tires (reparable), never had a cut or slash.

2) There was not set of tools, no BMW keychain, no accessory except for the
floor mats and the manuals. Does anybody know what accessories (if any)
come with the new car?

Many thanks in advance. I’ll try to upload a picture.

Paul 330

Attachments

When I bought my X3 on my birthday last yr, the client advisor didn't introduce me the Flat-tire insurance. I just saw the brochure while I was talking to the service advisor, when I put the X3 in for service. He then asked me casually if I am interested. The $350 # pop-up instantly & repeatedly in my head. Man! You can buy 2 Michelin Pilot Sport w/ those money!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp

Besides the X3 doesn't come w/ Michelin. I just replied, "You know, I am not sure if I like those 4 I have now.

Tom

Staff Team
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new purchase.

1) That's how the finance person makes extra money. When I purchased my A4, the finance person tried to pushed everything from paint sealant to window etching even though Audi already offers etching on their cars. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you feel that having this warranty offers a peace of mind. He is right on the fact that run-flats aren't repairable and they are quite expensive to replace. However the cost of the tires are still under $350 each.

2) Yes, BMW's do not come with floor mats or keychains, etc.. It's all up to your sales person wither he wants to give it or sell it. Mine was quite nice and gave me a T-shirt, fruit basket, floor mats, and keychain. I do however recommend purchasing all-weather floor mats that offers much better protection than the standard floor mats.

I'm not 100% sure, but did you check to see if there are any tools attached to the underside of the trunk gate?

BellasBmw

My salesman gave me the floor mats as a gift, but other than that.. nothing. I bought a bmw key chain on ebay. Its great quality and was only $8.99. My parents couldnt believe that my 06 had NO spare tire. Thats usually the #1 compliant i hear about the new 3 series. I have a tiny set of tools in my trunk to the right..

Run Flats

I have an '03 Z4 with run flats. At 2000 miles I had a flat to the front left. I had it repaired, nail removed and plugged. I now have 12500 miles with no problems. Last night I just picked up an '06 330i with run flats. The dealer did not discount from MSRP but give me a $250 gift certificate for asscessories. This after two BMW hats and very nice key chains.

The six speed is very nice. I will have about 300 miles on the clock by Sunday evening, I will have 13 miles now.

Wish I new how to attach photos? [???1]

I would ditch the crummy runflats unless it is part of the leasing plan that you need them. Seeing you live in a nice section of CA, I recommend some Bridgestone Potenza S-03's. These tires are awesome, weigh WAY less than runflats, and wear nicely. They will run you 150/tire average from tirerack.com or locally.