POLL:Which gets better gas mileage - Prius or M3??

Can an M3 get better gas mileage

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No way!!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Funny but not surprising

Vote first, then watch the video.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I voted yes. This builds exactly upon what I said in the Civic Hybrid thread, it turns out that if you accelerate hard and drive very fast, or if you drive up a hilly highway, or a steep incline in the rockies, you will get terrible gas mileage.

The reason why is simply because at some point the small 1.3L or 1.5L for the Prius engine becomes inefficient for the task at hand. If you drive like a grandma, then the tiny engine gets 40mpg, and 40mpg was pushing it. If you drive downhill you can expect 50mpg if you coast downhill, but then again if you had a BMW X3 and put it in Neutral the engine would idle at 600rpm, and you could roll down the steep decline easily, even having to ride the brakes in some instances.

The BMW engine gets better mileage than the Prius when you put the pedal to the metal because the Prius had to floor it, it's not designed for a track, while the M3 could just coast and shift at low rpms.

A silly comparison, but I knew it all along, when I drove the civic hybrid over the continental divide in Montana, I was getting my 38mpg average reduced to 32mpg, meaning I must have been getting mid 20s mpg. I also had to lay off the 80mph cruise control, since I thought I was gonna break the 1.3L engine since the CVT kept it at 5,000rpm, and this was no air cooled track engine.

I would only buy a Hybrid if the following conditions occured: first if you could claim the Tax deduction, then if they DID NOT charge a premium over MSRP (this new trend is nonsense, infact I got 1,500 off MSRP when I bought it), and last if you drive only in heavy traffic city areas with a lot of red lights. Even then you're probably gonna do just fine, and be just as environmentally friendly if not more by purchasing a regular corolla, civic, elantra, focus, cobalt, etc...

This is what I've always said when people ask me about my e30 (1.8L) and e34(2.5L). I tell them that the E34 gets better milage cross counrty because it doesn't try as hard as the e30. The E30 has to be revved to high hell to get it rolling, where as the e34 just coasts along like a bird.

Very interesting video, but it's quite obvious that the average Prius driver is focused on maximum fuel economy and will get the car's rated gas mileage or better. And the M3 driver is focused on maximum performance and will get the car's rated gas mileage or worse.

Big Daddy

You missed the point that it causes more damage to the enviroment just to build a Pirus than a Land Rover Discovery! That coupled with the fact that the M3 can get better gas mileage tells me the "save the planet" Pirus owners are full of themselves!

higher mpg = save planet is a sham of an image with our current technology that this world has grabbed onto like some sort of environment-saving teddy bear