Pontiac G8 looks too much like a new M3

[mad]Judge for yourself. The boys over at BMW should give Pontiac a true ass kicking in the form of a Blitzkrieg!!

I know that after leasing or buying the new M3, I would be pretty embarrased having a G8 pull up next to me. Granted looks aren't everything, but there has to be a limit.

Secondly, why are so many cars using the side vents? Hell I even saw a new Focus with side vents. I don't think that engine needs any extra ventilation. Below is a list of vehicles with side air vents:

1. Pontiac G8
2. Cadillac STS
3. Ford Taurus
4. Mercury Sable
5. Monte Carlo
6. Ford Focus[hatchet]

This just shouldn't be. BMW should sue Pontiac, am I wrong? [mad]

Range Rover Sport has it too. These companies usually claim that the side vents are functional as well as stylish but I find it hard to believe that modern engines actually need two small holes on the side of the car to aid in cooling.

^ i agree with what william said. it's like they just slanted the grills slightly and that's it.

if u've ever seen a circa 2001+ series lincoln sedan, it also looks like they just copied the 3 series as well.

Well, I'm putting some effort into getting the e92. I have some time left on my current lease and I am going to "trade" it in for the M3 [granted pay 1 grand in the process because my mileage is low but not that low]. Why did they get rid of the metallic silver? Now its just grey? I might go with the interlagos blue.

Also, should I be worried about glitches, electronic problems, etc? The first year the e46 came out the SMG system was failing, so I"m going with the manual. Logic says to keep the e46, but the V8 is calling me!!!

Oh, and did I mention that I have to put down 10K for the payments to be less than 900, that's demand for you. I heard in NYC, one M3 sold for almost 80K...

Does anyone know if the e46 exhaust system is the same as the e92? I have a borla exhaust cat back system on my e46 (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, even over the DINAN) and I want to put it on my e92, when I get it.

congrats. make sure to post some pix when u get it :)

but, $80k is too much for me, as would a $900/mo car payment. but, the m3 is a definite beauty and worth pining for. maybe, someday i guess... :) personally, i like finding a car that's a good bang for the buck, fun, and then paying it off in 1 to 2 years and owning it free & clear. i love my rx-8 cuz it's fun to drive and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. for my lifestyle & income level, personally, i highly doubt the marginal utility from driving/ owning any $80k car would exceed the add'l total cost of ownership. material things are fun initially when u get them, then the excitement slowly wears off over time. but, for something that expensive, my wallet would be wearing off as well for many years... hahaha. :)

Does anyone know if the e46 exhaust system is the same as the e92? I have a borla exhaust cat back system on my e46 (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, even over the DINAN) and I want to put it on my e92, when I get it.
I've seen exhaust system sales postings from vendors that say "e46/e92 m3". You may want to check with one of the aftermarket companies to verify for sure.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
The thing is.....So what?! Anyone remember the saying: "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"?
Remember the Toyota Tercel??? Looked like a Mini-me E36....BMW has been copied for years and years..nothing has changed today.

That being said I love the looks of both cars. I think Pontiac has finally come out with something that looks good and is an absolute beast in the engine department...I dont really like American cars...but I like that one (and I can justify it by saying that it is really Australian anyway!)

Last edited:
Well, I can't get the new M3, its way too much right now. Plus I like my e46, its looks are actually growing on me even more.

Plus I 've been enjoying racing new e92 M3s because I know they can't push their cars yet. Its really funny, because they are trying to shift before 4KRPMS, and it ends up just stalling or missing gears. Too bad I'll only be able to do this for another 3-4 months from now. I'm 2-3, one car actually won, but I could smell that smell after a car has been pushed too hard, too early.