Power Steering

My power steering has started making a groaning sound a few times a day. I looked in the manual and under the hood for the fluid reservoir, but couldn't find one. Can anybody help? Does this sound like a low fluid problem, or a pump that needs replacing? Thanks.

This is a 97 740iL with 88,000 miles

cai

Under the hood on the driverr side, 2/3 of the way towards the front of the car, there is a reservoir with a many sided nut cap on top. It most probably says ATF fluid on top of it. Look in the owner's manual for steering fluid refill, or something like that, and it will give you a better idea of what for to look.

Someone else asked a question about this and the manual tells you how to refill it.

I had a similar problem in my E36. If the noise occurs after you brake hard or go through a hard turn or both then it's definately low fluid. Add it with the engine off and between the two lines on the dip stick that is attached to the cap itself. Before opening the cap, make sure you clean it and everything around it so good that you can eat of it, no dirt can enter that reservoir. On the E36 it's kinda hidden down below and the airbox is kinda in the way of it so look closely. Hope you find it. Also, check what ATF the 740 uses. E36's use ATF Dexron (spelling?) III.