Radio tuner or wiring problem

I have a problem with my radio where it goes in and out, (as if it has a loose wire), intermittently. It'll go off and come back on, sometimes every few minutes to several hours or days. I've noticed that when the problem is occuring, the tape deck loses power also. Whenever the problem is occuring, the SD and LD lights on the tape deck go out and the radio tuner can not lock onto stations. If I hit "scan" while the problem is occuring, it simply goes through the channels indefinitely and doesn't find anything to lock onto. At times, there's a lot of crackling and popping as I turn the volume knob up or down too, (definitely sounds exactly like a loose wire).

I've pulled the MID and checked for loose wires, to no avail. Everything looked good and the radio didn't go out as I pulled on and jiggled every wire that I could get my hands on. Maybe it's a wire loose further down into the assembly in the wiring somewhere. I've seen tons of posts on the topic over the years so it's very common for E38's. Anybody have an idea as to what is going on??? I know that some of you have gotten the problem fixed. What did you have to do to correct this?

740 i radio problems

I have the exact same problem, anyone know how to fix?

au4life_rz said:
I have a problem with my radio where it goes in and out, (as if it has a loose wire), intermittently. It'll go off and come back on, sometimes every few minutes to several hours or days. I've noticed that when the problem is occuring, the tape deck loses power also. Whenever the problem is occuring, the SD and LD lights on the tape deck go out and the radio tuner can not lock onto stations. If I hit "scan" while the problem is occuring, it simply goes through the channels indefinitely and doesn't find anything to lock onto. At times, there's a lot of crackling and popping as I turn the volume knob up or down too, (definitely sounds exactly like a loose wire).

I've pulled the MID and checked for loose wires, to no avail. Everything looked good and the radio didn't go out as I pulled on and jiggled every wire that I could get my hands on. Maybe it's a wire loose further down into the assembly in the wiring somewhere. I've seen tons of posts on the topic over the years so it's very common for E38's. Anybody have an idea as to what is going on??? I know that some of you have gotten the problem fixed. What did you have to do to correct this?

I have heard many times that this is a very common problem, only I have not gotten any real information. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and been corrected. Please reply I am totally lost. Thanks so much. Kev.