Rain Sensor not working

CosmosBlack

My wipers stopped working on Intermittent/Rain Sensor mode. The other modes work fine though. When I switch it to Intermittent, the wipers wipe twice, then stop. It does not respond to rain or anything.

I brought it in to check on the diagnostics and my mechanic had it re-initialized, which got it to work. A week later, it rained and I turned the wipers on in Intermittent mode with the sensitvity set at highest. It went at full speed coz' it was raining quite a bit. So I turned the sensitivity down to lowest. The wipers stopped and refused to work. Now I'm back to square one!

Can someone help with any ideas?

[:(]

It's hard to tell what's going on b/c there are so many settings on that tree. However, I had the same initial difficulty as you until I got used to the settings. I think your problem came in when you turned the sensitivity all the way down to the "lowest" setting. I think that turns the rain sensor off completely, as opposed to just making them the least sensitive. I think the tree has a line on it next to the rotary dial that separates the "lowest"/off setting from the variable settings.

I keep my tree in the "1" position. When it starts to rain, I move the rotary dial to activate the rain sensor, then everything seems to work fine. Remember, you need to initially activate the rain sensor function each time it rains. I know, I know, sorta defeats the purpose. I may be wrong about all this, but that's my recollection from the owner's manual and my own trial and error.

Just my two cents......... Good luck.

CosmosBlack

Thank you for your response.

I was at my mechanic's again today to check on the wipers. It worked, and then it didn't.
He re-initialized it thru' the DIS again and it was working. On my way home, it rained, and I said to myself...Good, let me try it out! It refused to budge!!!

Then the rain stopped. I stopped somewhere and switched the engine off but left the wipers on Intermittent setting. When I came out of the store, started the car, damn wipers went a-wiping!!! It went on Intermittently even though my windscreen was already dry! I had to turn it off.

Final conclusion...Rain sensor's gone cuckoo! We did call the dealer and check on the price of a new sensor, it would cost $180. Something I can do without, I rely on RainX anyway. Never like wipers distracting my driving and view, unless it's really heavy and pouring. I mostly use the "tab down" to wipe whenever I need to at low speeds. It's just bothering me knowing that something is not working as it should. One thing I noticed is that BMW is not very good in their electronics stuff.

However, I will experiment with what you said, but I don't think it will work. Anyway, something that was meant to make things convenient, shouldn't be so inconvenient and complicated. I will post the solution if I ever find one, without having to replace the sensor.

CosmosBlack

Hey!

Hey Bro! Whazup Joe!? [wave]
I know you from somewhere....[:D]

Hey, I'm watching a set of ACS front lip spoiler on ebay for $400. The rear 3-piece spoiler is $350. What you say mann?

Balucanb

Re: Hey!

Cosmos Black said:
Hey Bro! Whazup Joe!? [wave]
I know you from somewhere....[:D]

Hey, I'm watching a set of ACS front lip spoiler on ebay for $400. The rear 3-piece spoiler is $350. What you say mann?
Hell ya![fake] [fake] [fake] [fake] [thumb]