RainX...?

Hey,

I purchased Bosch Micro Edge Excel windshield wipers, an ice scraper, and a bottle of RainX from a web site the other day and it all came in the mail today. I am tempted to use the RainX, but I am not totally sure. Anybody familiar with this product and its pros and cons? I am more interested in using it on my side and rear windows than my front windshield (as I have my own methods to keep the windshield very clean). I read that the stuff works well and does its job, but the cons I read are that if you do not re-apply the RainX, it starts to work against you. Meaning an old application/coating of RainX is worse than not having the RainX at all. Also, I read that if you want to completely get rid of the stuff, you have to buff it out or someting like that. Anybody familiar with this product or has any personal experience with it? I am tempted to try it, but I am just afraid of its cons....

Thanks,
MrElussive

hm....i heard from my uncle who used/uses?? it that it really worked nicely. he said that after a while the effect just gets less and you have to reapply it. from a negative effect i never heard a word. as i am interested in getting that sooner or later too this is anice topic. till to date i did not get that stuff as i heard only little and no really professional reports. that's the same with new medicine. only take it when approved and safe.

I've been using it for quite a while - I haven't seen any negative effects. I apply it to all my windows and watch the rain roll right off. The windshield wipers eventually take it off, but reapplication is very easy.

Interesting. I am planning a full wash/wax/interior clean for my car on Sunday, so I think I'll apply the RainX to the side and rear windows and the headlights (clear glass) while I'm at it. If I am happy with the results, I'll step it up to the windshield. [:)]

Nothing really SPECIAL, I just rely on a more natural solution rather than treat the windshield with certain chemicals. I wash the windows with dish washer soap...completely gets rid of all the dirt and crap on the windshield that regular car soap doesn't wash off. Then I spray a light mist of Armorall Auto Glass Cleaner on both sides of the windshield. This procedure provides the cleanest clearest glass results and I have tried many methods. I know it seems stupid to think about glass this much, but it truly does make a difference.
Now you don't need to wash your glass with dish-washer soap every time...usually, I use the dish-washer soap to wash the windows when I am going to wax my car (since I am going to be using dish-washer to wash the entire car anyways, to strip off the old wax). I wax my car every 6 months and my windows get washed along with it. But after every wash, I use the Auto Glass Cleaner as it simply makes the windows amazingly clean and clear.
P.S. If you wanna do this, I truly recommend Armorall Auto Glass Cleaner over, say Eagle One 20/20 Auto Glass Cleaner. The Armorall product is much smoother and easier to use.

flashinthepan

MrEllussive,

Interestingly, I just purchased the RainX wipes...I will report back once I try them out, I have heard good reviews of RainX in general.

Rain X is a great product that works as advertised. It works best if reapplied every couple of months. It's pretty tough to buff completely off so that you don't see smudges of the product.

There is another product that I use on the glass. It 's call Klasse All-in-One. It works just as good as Rain X but isn't nearly as difficult to buff off.

Also, if you think the Armorall glass cleaner is good, you should try Stoner's Invisible Glass. That stuff is perfect.

Hope this helps!

epj3

RainX is one of those little necessities for me. When i drive a car without rainx i always have to turn the windsheild wipers up the whole way. We usually put rainx on all of our car's windows right after cleaning, and we buy the orange windsheild washer fluid that has rainx in it. It's a very good product and I'd also reccomend fogX if they still make it!!

epj3, thanks for the info. They still make that fog stuff you numbnutz. A bottle of it came with the bottle of the RainX I purhcased (some kinda promotional thing).

flashinthepan, I appreciate that, definitely let me know how it goes!

membim, RainX leaves smudges on the windshield? Doesn't that defeat its purpose of the best clarity? Also, thanks for the Stoner's Invisible Glass recommendation, I will certainly give it a try. I just use the Armorall Auto Glass cleaner because it is the best auto glass cleaner that my local KMart sells. [^]

I sometimes have problems buffing the RainX completely off so I quit using it. The Klasse works just as good and I have no problems buffing. It's not neccesarily smudges, just left over product that's hard to buff off. Give it a try, you may not have this problem.

flashinthepan

I used the RainX wipes, no problems, the haze wiped right off & hafta admit the rain is repelled tons better. The wipes are nice !, like medicated towells.

You MUST wipe the glass after application...so I actually broke down and read the instructions...lol

[thumb]