? re: Oil Pan Housing on '99 323i

Took my car in for routine maintenance this week. Ended up getting new front brake pads and an oil change. The service station told me that my engine oil pan housing is getting old and needs to be replaced. (They say that they see a lot of these on hondas and on 3-series beamers.) They're still getting a quote on the part but are estimating around 2 or $300 probably.

Has anyone else had this changed and how much did you pay? Thanks in advance for the info...

Well, I guess no one has had this problem or knows anything about it. Anyhow, I called the dealer to confirm the price and the part is $450. Apparently, it's aluminum and the screw/ socket can get stripped over time. And, the only way is to replace the entire piece. My service place (non-dealer) charged me about $620 or so, which includes labor... @#$%!!

Geez, I missed your first post, but I have never heard of this before on ANY BMW- "stripping over time". Sounds to me like they, or someone who service the car, buggered up the drain hole threads, and your're getting the short end of the deal.

Just my opinion, though!

Edit:

There is a tool to repair this problem. More of a professional's tool, but if you are a DIY person this is still cheaper. Or maybe you can find a mechanic who has this kit.

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7004

Oil Pan Plug Rethreading Kit
Features:
Removes Damaged Thread and Taps a New Oversize Thread.
This set includes a piloted drill, spring-loaded tapping tool and 5 magnetic drain plugs. The unique tapping tool ensures the new thread will be perpendicular to the gasket surface to prevent leakage. Works on soft steel and aluminum oil pans with 1/2", 12mm & 14mm threads. Can be used on the vehicle when room permits. 58650 Plugs & Gaskets (Set of 5) 58880 Piloted Drill Assembly 58900 Tap

Last edited:
Detrich said:
Took my car in for routine maintenance this week. Ended up getting new front brake pads and an oil change. The service station told me that my engine oil pan housing is getting old and needs to be replaced. (They say that they see a lot of these on hondas and on 3-series beamers.) They're still getting a quote on the part but are estimating around 2 or $300 probably.

Has anyone else had this changed and how much did you pay? Thanks in advance for the info...
[thumb] I will have to second the above comment, my bimmer has 201K miles, I've never missed a scheduled maintenance appointment and still have the original oil pan on my vehicle. I get my oil changed every 7.5K with no pan troubles whatsoever. I think someone is selling you a bad bill of goods, my bimmer is over seven years old, someone screwed up your oil pan and you're unfortunately paying the cost. It happens to the best of us from time to time. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
[driving2]