Red blinkers on a 2006 E90 BMW????

Was driving behind a new E90 325i tonight (white, sport pkg, Xenons..looked good :)....But then I saw the blinker go on! It was this pathetic red blinker, that was combined with the brake lights. It was so hard to see and weak. When did BMW switch to red blinkers? It looked like an old Taurus or Chevy.

I thought it was law that all blinkers in Europe had to be yellow/amber? I am pretty sure it is the law in D-Land.

Anyway, it looked like hell, and is unsafe!!

My 2 cents.

Blinkders have to be red or yellow. I think it is easier to read yellow blinkers but I wouldn't call it unsafe. I like the way red blinkers look better as it matches the brake lights/tail lights. My car has red blinkers and it has never gotten me into any trouble.

tazza0712 said:
Blinkers here in Aus all seem to be orange. Stands out against headlights at night, especially at round-abouts when you need to see them most.
Exactly. In Germany, I do not think I have ever seen red blinkers. Here in the States, the red blinker/brake combo assembly is the most hideous thing, and unsafe/hard to see contraption I have ever seen on a car.

Still do not know why BMW would do this? I mean the rear end of the E90 is not it's shining attribute, and then they top it off with POS blinkers.

I am hoping that the upcoming E90 coupe will use the clear amber LED lights like mine now. I think this is the best rear end BMW has ever done. If you have not been behind an E46 2004-2006 Coupe...you have to see the visibility of the brake lights and the blinkers...It is so amazing (and hot) :

deutsch100 said:
Exactly. In Germany, I do not think I have ever seen red blinkers. Here in the States, the red blinker/brake combo assembly is the most hideous thing, and unsafe/hard to see contraption I have ever seen on a car.
Oh come on. Many cars have red blinkers, if you have a hard time seeing it, you need to have your eyes checked.

Funny thing is , the new redesigned 7 series has yellow blinkers, as do the 5 series. But for some reason the E90 gets red blinkers...wtf?

Still if you have a pair of average working eyes, red blinkers aren't really much of a problem, (they just look blah...)

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I've been complaining about this for quite some time, it makes the E90 come off as garbage from behind....glad to hear I'm not the only one complaining.

Even if you can see well the red blinkers don't really grab your attention especially in the daylight. Take the Taurus for example, and other dodges which have the worst blinkers/tail lights in the world. They might as well not even signal, and the G35 has VERY BRIGHT rear tail lights which is why it can get away with it.

Also for some reason whenever I see an E90 it's always the 325i model, seems like the 330i doesn't sell very well. It's as if my earlier statements about the 525i offering almost the same performance as the previous 530i (e39) making it easier to justify spending the 45k on a 525i (easier to negotiate prices with as it's not brand new) instead of a non negotiable 43k or almost as much on a tiny 330i.

Big Daddy

Until recently red blinkers were the norm in the states, I don't see it as a major problem. I do think amber is cleaner.

In Idaho you can have amber brake lights legally!

MrElussive said:
Oh come on. Many cars have red blinkers, if you have a hard time seeing it, you need to have your eyes checked.
My eyes are perfect EmilE. Also, your G35, as Steve said, has very bright red blinkers. Our Z8 has red blinkers too, but they are neon tubing...and are amazingly bright.

But the new E90 has crappy, reb bulbs, housed in the brake light housing. It looks cheap, and whatever you say...is near impossible to see in bright light. There is a reason that cars in Europe must have Amber blinkers, and side marker lights (amber also)....it is safer and visible in bright light, especially with combined braking.

You can argue lots of points about design, and interior layouts. But...this time, you are just flat out wrong!! [;)]

He's right...

I couldnt believe it myself... BMW with cheap asian/american red blinkers. I think that is preety much the only flaw on it (style-wise) however just be glad that the car has yellow blinkers on the side, so when you are actually turning the car behind can see it blinking. i guess its not all that bad.

This is hilarious. So using red bulbs and housing are cheap? I don't think any cost-cutting occurs when they say "let's go with red instead of yellow". [rofl]

I've seen lots of the E90's running around my area and I have no problem with their turn signals, sunny or not. I happen to think the red taillight housing looks quite nice.

It seems it has gotten to the point where you guys just find the dumbest things to complain about the new E90, and you make a big deal out of them because you can't really think of anything good. Just give it a few years when a few of you will have to buy a new E90 3-Series and then once you own one, you'll say "Hey this is pretty good !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

MrElussive said:
This is hilarious. So using red bulbs and housing are cheap? I don't think any cost-cutting occurs when they say "let's go with red instead of yellow". [rofl]

I've seen lots of the E90's running around my area and I have no problem with their turn signals, sunny or not. I happen to think the red taillight housing looks quite nice.

It seems it has gotten to the point where you guys just find the dumbest things to complain about the new E90, and you make a big deal out of them because you can't really think of anything good. Just give it a few years when a few of you will have to buy a new E90 3-Series and then once you own one, you'll say "Hey this is pretty good !!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I like the E90. I would buy one anyday over the 5er. I have no problem getting a 330ci or M3 when my lease is up on my E46 M (if I don't buy it :) Like I said earlier, I am hoping they but clear LED taillights on the coupe. The E90 sedan looks good from most angles, but the rear, and American/Japanese lights are cheapo. That is all I am saying.

Agreed. Hopefully the coupes will have LED's and clear turn signals, like the current E46 coupes. Don't go backwards in progress, BMW. I'm kind of surprised the E90 sedans don't have LED's.

Yeah, I am actually also surprised the E90's don't have LED's all around in the back. In this day where everybody drives auto and sits in a lot of traffic, LED brake lights and tail lights would seem like a nice idea as they easily last for the life of the car. I do think the rear end looks fine visually, but LED's would improve functionality.

Isn't the whole point of this forum to voice opinion? I don't appreciate people telling others to get over the negative points of a car. Here, everything is shared, the good, the bad, the plain ugly, but at either point, they are all opinons - allow everyone to share, and every member should readily accept another's opinion, even if they don't agree with it. Of course, healthy debate is always a plus and can be quirky and enjoyable, telling people to "Start complaining about something important" means that you shouldn't have made a comment.
I just had to voice that, well... write it.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
tazza0712 said:
Isn't the whole point of this forum to voice opinion? I don't appreciate people telling others to get over the negative points of a car. Here, everything is shared, the good, the bad, the plain ugly, but at either point, they are all opinons - allow everyone to share, and every member should readily accept another's opinion, even if they don't agree with it. Of course, healthy debate is always a plus and can be quirky and enjoyable, telling people to "Start complaining about something important" means that you shouldn't have made a comment.
I just had to voice that, well... write it.
I half heartedly agree, although "getting over the negative points of a car" is polite enough and even understandable to a certain degree... but that last childish-one-line comment (see original post) shouldn't have been posted I agree with you there.