Rust on wheel hubs

corkie

I bought a new 320 about 4 mts ago & since then I've noticed rust building up on the wheel hubs. I mentined this to my local BMW dealer and was told that this was normal & was not covered under warranty. The rust is now very noticable and unsightly & I find it hard to believe that its normal for all BMW's. Has anyone else had thi sproblem an dwhat woudl you recommend I do.

Big Daddy

By wheel hubs are you referring to the brake rotors? If that is the case yes brake rotors wil get a surface rust on them that rubs off the first time the brakes are applied.

corkie

By wheel hubs are you referring to the brake rotors? If that is the case yes brake rotors wil get a surface rust on them that rubs off the first time the brakes are applied.
Not just the brake disks but the hub the wheel is attached to. I could live with rust on the brake rotor as you point out thi sgets removed once the brakes are applied.

jgalaxy

Not just the brake disks but the hub the wheel is attached to. I could live with rust on the brake rotor as you point out thi sgets removed once the brakes are applied.
This appears to be standard. It took me about 5 months before it started on my 2008 E92. Your only recourse is to remove the wheels and get out the wire brush and a lubricant and you'll be good for another 4 months. I'll be doing mine as soon as I get the mount jack adapter. PITA.

corkie

This appears to be standard. It took me about 5 months before it started on my 2008 E92. Your only recourse is to remove the wheels and get out the wire brush and a lubricant and you'll be good for another 4 months. I'll be doing mine as soon as I get the mount jack adapter. PITA.
Did you complain to your dealer or BMW? I intend to give BWW HQ a hardtime on this sub standard quality.

rotor and surrounding area rust is environmental mostly- namely because the car manufacturers save money and don't paint or use rust-proof components. after u wash your car, u will notice that the rust is especially more prominent.

u can either drive around and brake hard to get rid of some it it, or opt to paint the rotor & chassis. painting is a pain in the butt tho, cuz u have to remove the wheels, calipers etc. and, u have to use paint that is formulated for it due to high temperature concerns.

on the rx-8 forum, a lotta guys have painted it themselves. and there are many threads with step-by-step instructions on how they did it w/ photos. a lot of them look absolutely fantastic after it's painted.

for me, i just live with it best i can. i usually wipe down the area as best i can after a car wash, because the rust comes off really easy when it's softened up with the water. then i drive around and brake hard a few times and then it dries.

in the end the pursuit of perfection is a bit of a losing game.