S4 and M3 ... once again

While traveling to San Francisco back in April I picked up the May 2003 edition of Car & Driver since I saw they had a comparison between the M3, S4 and C32. I was a little miffed to see they preferred the S4 above the M3 with the S4 getting an overall rating of 96 and the M3 with 90. Anyway, I kinda brushed it off and I believe there were many posts on the subject on this forum.
Last week I was on my way to DC when I saw Road & Track (December 2003) running a similar comparison with the M3 SMG, S4 and C32. Again, they rated the S4 higher. However, when I looked at the breakdown of the results, they had the M3 getting maximum points for Performance (200 out of a max of 200), with the S4 getting 190. In the next category, Subjective Ratings (by the 3 test drivers), the M3 got 192 out of a possible 200 and the S4 got 189.2. So the M3 was again at the top in this category. Then I looked at the third and final category, Price, and here they decided that the M3 was too pricey (as tested $55815, compared to the S4 at $50,790) and gave the M3 185.7 out of 200 points and the S4 200 points. As a result, the S4 got 579.2 and the M3 got 577.7 total points, placing it second behind the S4.
In my opinion, the extra $5000 worth of better performance (acceleration and braking), driving excitement and handling is worth it.

Tom

Staff Team
I think C&D or MT did the same thing to the 3-Series during a comparo of it vs. the Lexus and G35. The G35 edge the 3-Series because of the pricing.

I can't stand these comparisons, where the Audi edges out the M3 because of price. However, perhaps this will drive BMW to make further improvements to an already Ultimate Driving Machine.

Yeah, I don't like it when they factor in price, either, but the Audi S4 really is a great car. I kind of feel bad for the C32 AMG...it always comes in third in these S4 vs M3 vs C32 comparos and I feel like that is the losing position...C32 AMG doesn't deserve that. I am saying this because the C32 AMG is a great car because it knows exactly what it is and it does its job perfectly and I feel like they sort of punish the C32 for being what it is.
Either way, I think pricing shouldn't be so important and it's not always accurate. For example, they did that review of G35 vs BMW 3-series vs several other sport sedans. G35 came out on top and the price really helped it, but I don't think that's accurate. If you one is trying to decide between a G35 Coupe and a 330Ci (i.e. like I was), that one will find that the lease prices are very similar despite a $7,000 difference in MSRP, due to BMW's stronger 60-65% resale value vs Infiniti's 50-51% resale value (after 3 years).