Say it ain't so.

Immobile

Hello all, first time poster, long time reader. My worry: I've heard that M3s tend to blow their engines under duress. My friend visits another board (porsche) that frequently posts pics of fried M3s. It's breakin' my heart, say it ain't so. Has anyone experienced or witnessed this tragedy?

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
i havent seen one blow up, i run my car hard and it havent blown up yet. it is daily driven and i take it to the autocross, and also i go out at night in a empty warehouse lot and see what i can do. my car has 32000 miles on it.

Been to the track four times and ran hard enough to warp the stock rotors. No engine problems at all, but only 8,000 miles. BMW has appeared to step up as far as warranty coverage on any blown motors.

Tom

Staff Team
silvere46m3 said:
i havent seen one blow up, i run my car hard and it havent blown up yet. it is daily driven and i take it to the autocross, and also i go out at night in a empty warehouse lot and see what i can do. my car has 32000 miles on it.
Dont listen to Mike, he drives his car like a little girl.[;)]

I thought that only happened to the early model M3's, and that was because the engine runs at such a high compression ratio. But BMW has obviously corrected the problem since then. [:)]

Immobile

Yeah, I had trouble trying to pin down specifics from my friend. I assume that he is referring to tracked M3s. At any rate, the few responses so far seem to point to either a) it's an old problem that is now fixed or, b) it doesn't happen. Perhaps it's simply jingoistic talk coming from the P-boys. Although,..., he claims to have pics....

sly

Yes it happened but only on cars that were built in 2001 to 2002. BMW extended the warranty on M3s to 100K miules on cars built in that time frame. 2004 M3s do not have that problem as far as BMW is concerned so they offer only the standaard warranty on '04 models.

Immobile said:
Yeah, I had trouble trying to pin down specifics from my friend. I assume that he is referring to tracked M3s. At any rate, the few responses so far seem to point to either a) it's an old problem that is now fixed or, b) it doesn't happen. Perhaps it's simply jingoistic talk coming from the P-boys. Although,..., he claims to have pics....
Have any M coupe owners complained of this problem because I have heard of the M3 motors giving out on the first year production runs......on both my Camaro board and my Honda board

I doubt if this many people have heard/seen/owned this many blown M3's that its just cannon fodder

From what I understand, the first production year M3s had either had the wrong bearings or the bearing manufacturer manufactered bad bearings. Supposedly the problem has been fixed.

I believe it was a bad main bearing on engines made in a specific time frame in 2002, but it may have included some 2001 dates as well. The engines are now subject to a 6 year 100k (or unlimited mileage?) warranty, and I would not let it put you off if you are thinking of buying a new M3.

It would also be applicable to any 2001 M roadster or M coupe that shares the M3 engine, assuming that the production dates for those cars fell within the defined range, but I don't think that it does.

Such problems are not unique to BMW. The first-year of the 996 series Porsche 911 (1999) has a bad main seal that leads to expensive engine repair/failure. Porsche, however, has not stepped up their warranty and as a result the 1999s are worth much less than a comparable 2000, at least to a knowledgable buyer. Audi is currently experiencing strange failures with the new S4 that they are still trying to figure out. Many S4s have been rendered undriveable and I understand that Audi has picked up the cars, provided a long-term loaner, and nobody knows when the situation will be resolved.

They may also be referencing a different phenomenon that can destroy an engine, the dreaded money shift. That is not unique to BMW (don't ask me how I know), and results when a driver misses a shift and over-revs the engine. E36 M3s are notorious for that problem, which is a result of the ability to over-rev by getting into 2nd at a speed too high for 2nd to safely engage, (say at redline in 3rd, approx. 85-90 mph, or higher speeds.)

A journalist just blew up the engine in a $440k Porsche Carrera GT when he shifted from 5-2 and sent the engine spinning to the sky. It blew at 14,500 RPM, which speaks of the strength of that motor.

Really?? Wow, I thought the engine failure problem was only for the M3, and I just assumed (for whatever reason) that the M Coupe and M Roadster were exempt from this.

brahtw8 said:
I believe it was a bad main bearing on engines made in a specific time frame in 2002, but it may have included some 2001 dates as well. The engines are now subject to a 6 year 100k (or unlimited mileage?) warranty, and I would not let it put you off if you are thinking of buying a new M3.
To my knowledge, the 100k warranty applies only to the 2001-2003 models. I believe that BMWNA has ended this with the introduction of the 2004 model.

maybe u guys are talkin abot the US models, but I don't think that can be right at all for any BMW 6 cilinder engines, coz they are all relatively understressed, even the EVO(321BHP). The Porsche friend just taklin out of his more stupid end, his mouth that is, ha! ha! ha!!

hardcore209 said:
maybe u guys are talkin abot the US models, but I don't think that can be right at all for any BMW 6 cilinder engines, coz they are all relatively understressed, even the EVO(321BHP). The Porsche friend just taklin out of his more stupid end, his mouth that is, ha! ha! ha!!
This is the E46 M3 engine, which is the same in the US or in Europe. The hp. quoted is 343 Europe and 333 US, but 5 of that is just the difference in US vs. Euro hp. measurement, and the other 5 is emissions related, likely on the exhaust end.

I believe that the engine failure is occurring in all E46 M3s manufactured in that limited time period, which is probably just in 2002, but I don't have the data, and I have no reason to doubt Mr. Elussive's statements on the years of the warranty. (I was not implying that all of the engines have the warranty, only those potentially effected.)

This is not an old wive's tale, but a verified manufacturing defect that BMW has acknowledged and corrected. Not to say that the P-car fan doesn't talk out of his a$$ in exaggerating the scope of the problem, but it does exist.

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
If you look in the latest issue of Roundel, the BMW racing team mechanics take the oil pans off all their engines they are going to race and locktite the oil pump onto its mount. They say the engines they have blown were traced to the thing twisting off under conditions of constant high RPMs. They say if you intend to race with the engine it is a MUST DO. Otherwise you are guaranteed a blown engine.

The majority of engine problems were experienced by M3's with production dates that I believe were between Oct 01 and Mar 02. This was specific to the S54 3.2 liter engine. According to BMW, the problem was a contaminant created by the oil pumps installed during that time period. Some engines experienced rod bearing failure as a result. Initially, BMW intimated that failures were caused by drivers mis-shifting at excessive RPM, however, when the failures became apparent with engines that were proved to have not been over-revved and even with SMG equipped M3's having built-in safeguards against over-revving, they started to change their tune. Ultimately, M3's within those time frames were recalled for a new oil pump and rod bearing change-out.....even if they had previously experienced no problems. In addition, they bumped the warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles from date of sale.

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
I was thinking of buying a 2001 M3.. good thing I changed my mind. This is not a common problem I would want to have if I decide to keep the car for a while. [B)]

PuShAkOv said:
I was thinking of buying a 2001 M3.. good thing I changed my mind. This is not a common problem I would want to have if I decide to keep the car for a while. [B)]
You would keep it longer than 2007 and 100k? With the warranty on all potentialy affected cars, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Odds are you will sell it or it will fail under warranty, and you should be able to avoid that by buying one 'out of range'.