Shocks????

my mechanic tells me I should get some new shocks this year... I know all about the bilsteins, but what about others?

Do any of you guys have a better suggestion.

My car has 109,000 miles on it now, and I am debating spending the $1,000 or wondering if there is something out there that costs less and will be a good fit for my car.....

so what do you say boys?

Last edited:
Try shox.com. I purchased bilsteins for my 5 series and it made a world of difference. I didn't buy sport shocks, but shox.com have very good prices.

As a matter of fact I am dropping my car off tomorrow to get some suspension work done. My car has 165k mi so it's high time for a "freshening". I talked to several people about what I wanted to change about the car's handling/ride. I'm replacing the front struts and rear shocks with the Bilstiens, replacing the springs with Bavarian Autosport's springs and having some of the rear bushings replaced. Total cost will be $1200+/-.

I wanted to tighten up the car's handling but didn't want a real stiff ride, with all the potholes around here. I thought about replacing the roll/sway bars to get rid of some body roll but I was told this is the first step in building a better handling car. I can do that later.

I'll let you guys know how it feels in a couple of days. Unfortunately, I have my snow tires on right now so I won't feel the changes completely until the Michelin Pilots go back on.

Big Daddy

Dinan Stage I Suspension for your car is $1178.00 and that includes Koni adjustables on all four corners. I got mine during February many years ago on sale and it cost me about $1500.00 installed than. Here is Dinan's website, you would not be disappointed.

Dinan

Well, I've got my car back after having all that suspension work done.

I got the Bilstein Heavy Dutys at all four corners. It's their middle grade of shocks. The Tourings are like stock and the Sports are real stiff. I also got Bavarian springs, rear shock mounts, and trailing arm bushings. And an alignment. $1472. Not cheap.

The car is about an inch lower than before but you really can't tell until you look at the wheel wells. The ride is comparable to what it was before. It does filter out small pavement cracks better. You can feel the car is stiffer when going over big bumps. It settles down quicker but the jolt is a little more "sudden".

There is better control when sawing at the wheel left and right. I can't tell just how much harder it corners because the snow tires I have on now do not have a lot of grip and have soft sidewalls. Once I get the summer tires back on I'll really start pushing the car around corners.

Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Naw, I didn't do that. A mechanic did it in a big heated garage. That's why it cost so much. Other than some minor maintenance stuff, my days of frozen fingers and bloody knuckles are pretty much over. Kudos to you guys who wrench your own cars.

Hey, how do I post the picture so it's not a file you have to open, but already in the post?

Big Daddy

in the "Go Advanced" box click the image icon and than copy and paste the photos information (Image) from the hosting site to the box that opens, submit! Remember you have to have the photo hosted some place like Photobucket.com, etc.

I'll reply to the original poster's questions about shocks....

Koni single adjustables are the way to go, says just about everyone. With a cost comperable to the Billsteins, a lifetime warranty, and rebound adjustment, you can hardly go wrong. They're pretty much standard fare for stock class autocrossing (and beyond).

A good place to pick them up for pretty cheap is www.stranoparts.com. (He's a local guy to me, honest, great with cars, and has competative prices). In fact, I will very shortly be purchasing them for myself in preparation for next year's AutoX season. I've never heard a single person *ever* say that they were disappointed with their Koni SA's. So, to me, it seems like a very easy decision to make.

And, the other good part is that there is a coilover conversion designed around the Koni SA's for around $600 from bimmerworld that the spring rates that you'll want and adjustable perches and all that jazz... in case you want to upgrade in the future.

Big Daddy said:
Dinan Stage I Suspension for your car is $1178.00 and that includes Koni adjustables on all four corners. I got mine during February many years ago on sale and it cost me about $1500.00 installed than. Here is Dinan's website, you would not be disappointed.

Dinan
Actually, that is a little bit disappointing. For $1200, I would hope to expect a little bit more. Not too much more, mind you, but a little more. For $1200, from bimmerworld, you get:

Track / School coil-over kit complete front assemblies as pictured
2 SHORT Koni single adjustable struts in Ground Control shortened strut housings
2 SHORT Koni single adjustable rear shocks
4 Eibach ERS springs, driver school or track event rate
2 rear ride height adjusters

To be able to select your spring rate *and* corner balance your car (which is a pretty cool thing to do on a 50/50 car like the BMW) along with rebound adjustments. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the bimmerworld parts if I wanted to upgrade my springs.

btay1or11

Check out tcklineracing.com. I have read a couple of complimentary articles about their suspensions. The cost seems to be in the ballpark of the other options on this thread.