Should I buy an M3 or S4

sly

Up until a month ago I owned an '02 M3. My wife owns an '04 S4 which I've driven quite a bit over the past five weeks. So my views will be based on my experiences with both cars.

When you buy a car like an S4 or M3, it's basically going to be an emotional decision. Let's face it we really don't need 340HP engines for driving on public roads. The big thing the M3 has going for it is prestige. Most of us want to drive a car that is almost universaly admired. The M3 has it all over the S4 in that regard. The S4 comes across as a wantabe M3 in most of our minds. If you take off the badges most people can't tell the difference between a $50K S4 and a $30K A4. Most of us who spend that kind of money on a car want something distinctive. BMW did a much better job than Audi in differentiating their performance car from the standard version.

If none of the preceeding means anything to you and you live in an area that gets snow regularly, the S4 makes sense. The price of a decently equipped M3 is around $55K and for an S4 it's about $50K. Almost no one gets a discount on an M3 but I imagine that people will be getting the S4 for around $48K before the end of the year. From an objective point of view the M3 is not worth $7K more than the S4. But if a buyer has an emotional attachment for an M3, the S4 will never make him happy.

If a buyer wants a performance car with lots of torque, high refinement, great traction, and beautifully designed interior and exterior, it's hard to go wrong with an S4. When an S4 owner is working late in the evening and it's the middle of winter, he doesn't have to be concerned about the weather. I imagine that the almost 4K lb S4 with quattro will get you through almost any kind of snow. As a matter of fact with all that weight and traction, you could probably attach a plow to the front of the S4 and plow a path to your home. Sure the M3 equipped with snow tires will drive adequately in the snow, but it's no S4. Also, when it's raining, the S4 will give you loads of confidence because of its superior traction.

Bottom line is that the S4 is superior to the M3 as a daily driver in real world conditions. But if a buyer wants to have the best performing track car, even though he may never track the car himself, the M3 is the clear choice. In other words they are both fine cars for slightly different markets.

Last edited:

Tom

Staff Team
Great post Sly, I agree 100% that Audis make great vehicles for real world conditions. I have an A4 as my daily commuter and when it comes down to it, there is no comparison to the Quattro system.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
People seam to think that the M3 is a car that has been well distinguished and is kow for its speed. the M3 though gets its name from starting off very slowly with the E30 M3 and the motorsport division with the M635 started tuning. When the E30 M3 was made very few (comparitivly) were sold. the Name M3 ment nothing that was so many years ago. When the E36 M3 was out more and more people started to hear about it and around 1994 it was being bought by people simply because of prestigue and now the M3 is a household name. The S4 is at the 94 E36 stage. If you buy one then only the people who count will know. most will just think that its an A4 (if that). When you leave them for dead at the lights they'll be even more shocked. Also because of the unknown aspect of the S4 if you don't want to race no one will try and intice you to. My final comment [;)] is about fakes. How many fake M3's are there out there??? or how many times have you overheard someone saying bet its a fake when its real or something similar. If image is improtant to you then to be honest the M3 is almost past its prime. The S4 now is at a stage where all of us would know it and give it respect but the rice boys don't know it that well and would try and Buzz you!

sly

Also because of the unknown aspect of the S4 if you don't want to race no one will try and intice you to.

Excellent point. My brother has a 911 Turbo. It has absolutely awsome performance. I get to drive the TT about once a month, and I can tell you that every time I drive the TT, it seems like I'm challenged by every high performance car on the road. I've driven my wife's S4 on numerous occassions , and I haven't been challenged one time.

sly, you're right, nobody really needs 333hp or 340hp. And there are lots of M3 owners out there who only have an M3 just to say they have an M3. But it's the driving enthusiasts that enjoy cars like these.
I can tell you I am not a professional driver, I have never been on the track, and I have only been driving for a few years. But there isn't a day that goes by in which I don't appreciate the power, handling, and braking my car has to offer, and I am sure many other sport vehicle owners agree with me completely. They are expensive investments (M3 vs 330Ci/325Ci or S4 vs A4), and they are epxensive to maintain, but it is the experience they offer in the drive that makes them worth owning, even if the car will never see a race track under your ownership.
It's like that fat guy on Hot Rod TV says every morning every time he tests a new (fast) car on just regular roads: "Do you need a car like this? Not really. Do you want a car like this? Oh yeah." [:D] [:D] [:D]

Last edited:
also this is the first time Audi is really stepping it up (besides the RS6). If you compare a B5 S4 to an E36 M3 its hands down in the M3's favor. better suspension and better engine and brakes. Now if you compare the new S4 (2004) to what is considered the new M3 (E46, which is several years old) the S4 comes out on top performance wise, but seriously they don't really match up anymore. a V8 AWD sedan vs. an I6 RWD coupe? once BMW releases a new M3 i'm sure it will best the one or two year old S4, and then audi will release a new S4 and back and forth and back and forth.

The fact of the matter is BMW has its work cut out to best Audi, because that new S4 has a great engine, a great suspension, and good brakes. Though i must say I am confident in BMW [thumb]

Wait a second, I just realized. Your wife owns a 2004 Audi S4. I think it is only obvious to get the 2004 M4 for yourself. This way you'll have the best of both worlds as I'm sure your wife would be happy to switch off with you whenever you have the need for V8 and AWD (or when your wife has the need for a high-revving I6 and RWD).

flashinthepan

Curiously,

Will BMW ever produce a NON-SUV AWD V-8 powered performace car to compete with the Audi 8 AWD ?
Or since I am a fairly new Bimmer guy, did the M5 ever offer AWD ??

Anyone know ??

I have thought when the newness of my 330Cic wears off, it could be the wifes turn to go Euro AWD.

Last edited:

sly

MrElussive:

I owned an '02 M3 up until a month ago. I was going to hold on to it for a bit longer, but I had a buyer who had to have my car by the end of September. I paid $55K for my M3 and sold it for $48K. $7K or $300 a month depreciation for two years was awsome. I also appreciate your reasons for being the proud owner of an M3. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. I thought my next car was going to be an RS6, but I can't get use to that big fin on the roof. The Audi salesman thinks I'm being picky, but for $80K the car has to be perfect to me before I buy.

I still haven't found a car that matches the M3 when you consider price, performance, style, and practicality.

sly, you seem to really love the M3 so maybe you should just get another one.
But on the other hand, the Audi RS 6 is a VERY special car and if you really want that, then you shouldn't let a minor styling cue hold you back.

As for BMW's and AWD, I can tell you that an M car will NEVER be AWD. See, when BMW makes an M car, it receives that M badge for having certain special features to it. It has to meet a certain amount of horsepower, a certain level of handling, and a certain level of braking. Another "characteristic" of a BMW M car is that it MUST be RWD. That is why when BMW was first making the X5 4.6is, they wanted to make it an M version of the X5. But the vehicle just did not meet their handling standards and it was AWD so they realized it just couldn't be an M car.
Hope this helps. [:)]

The big fin you are referring to is going to be on many cars. Its on the A4 Ultrasport, its on the A8, the RS6, the new E60 5-series, and probably many more cars to come. Hopefully they find a more elegant way to pick up satelite radio. (at least i think thats what its for)

sly

frolf:

The M3 also has the fin, but it's not as obnoxious as the ones on the Audis. M3s have fins; Audis put the whole dam shark on their roofs.

PuShAkOv said:
If this means anything:

I have a much higher respect for M3's than for S4's.
No....no, it doesn't.

Because the first time I am going to see the new B6 S4 on the road, I think I am just going to have to bow down.