SMG or 6 Speed

I have not had the opportunity of experiencing the SMG transmission, however given that the 6 speed is so good in a BMW and given the reviews I have read about the SMG (many of which have not be favourable) my question is this: Is it worth it?

The SMG adds almost 5g to the price in Canada.

hky001

if you've got the money i say go with the smg....the only small complaint i would have with it is that you could probably get a better start with a manual transmission, but once you feel how smooth the shifting is and how fun it is to drive, you wont worry about that at all...

There is actually a video you can purchase of a comparison between the 6-speed and the SMG transmissions and the 6-speed is actually a little quicker in this video.
Either way, I would get the 6-speed because I like having control over the clutch. [:D]

scl18303

After driving hi hp cars w/ both an auto and manual, I would go with the SMG. It is supposed to be the benchmark for F1 style shifting (no manual clutch trannies). I can tell you, after having the 6 speed manual, I would love to have the SMG transmission. BMW manual transmissions are silky smooth in the lower powered cars....(325/330/mini S/ect...), but in the M3 the shifts are long throw and notchy. The long throw is annoying but the notchy is to be expected with a high HP auto. Having said that, I believe the SMG would afford you all of the control of a manual with the slick shifting of an auto. Also as I said before, It's the benchmark for F1 style shifting in production autos.

jpnorman

I drove my M3 Conv. with SMG for the first time on the day I took delievery (June 2003), they didn't have one to test drive so I drove the manual when I ordered. I agree that at lower speeds you will get smoother shifts but at or above third gear I prefer the SMG. When I first got the car the SMG shifting took some time to get used too. I'm not sure what I was expecting but the SMG was rougher than I imagined, I think primarily because I had been driving an automatic. Over time however I have seen the advantages and become used to the shifting patterns and how to drive. You can eliminate a lot of the roughness at early shifting by letting up on the gas at the shift points just like you would on a true manual. What I really like however is the ability to shift back and forth at any time between auto and manual. Don't want to shift you don't have to but if you see a fun spot hit a paddle and you are in control. It just makes driving the car that much more enjoyable. I would recommend it but really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Well said, jpnorman. You really can't go wrong either way. If you want to be a true enthusiast about it, then go with the stick shift. But I would imagine that in tight situations, SMG is able to do things that you just couldn't do in a manual.

given the choice, i dun know if i would get it. but if have a long commute in a traffic jam on a daily basis then that might tilt it the favor of smg.

but from what i read, expect an auto shifting manual, unlike septronic and such, where it's the case of an automatic trying to act like a manual.

i dun know if i wanna drop 24k or so on it, but if yer getting an m3, that's only 5% of msrp right? ;)

I opted for the 6-speed. And everyone that I know that has the SMG wishes they had gotten the 6-speed.

OK, that everyone with the SMG totals to 3 people. [idea]

Well, I had an E46 M3 six speed and today I bought an SMG (test drove it first). Having control is a factor, but you can adjust your driving style from passive to extremely agggresive [:D] , and that makes it extremely fun to drive. If you like to have total control (and don't drive in heavy traffic to often), then the six speed is for you. Other than that, go with the SMG. I love it.

The clutch of the M3 is stiff, isn't it?? I remember that when I used to go to the BMW showroom and sit in an M3, I always thought the M3 had such a ridiculously stiff clutch. But this was back when I had my Jetta, which had a very light clutch. Now with my G35C (much stiffer clutch), I think my "threshold" on clutch stiffness has changed a lot. Is the M3 6-Speed clutch too stiff as a daily driver??

When I first drove the 6 speed I did think it was a bit stiff, but bear in mind I hadn't drove a stick shift in about 8 years. The SMG has lightning fast shifts and the paddle effect makes it feel like you're playing one of the NEED FOR SPEED video games using a game controller. ALso, in traffic, you can just switch to Auto mode and relax. When you get back into flowing traffic, you can switch to SMG on the fly and away you go!

It's really great, I would recommend it to anyone. Lots of performance, lots of luxury, great price, and a real head-turner. Just don't trade in your M3 for it. [:D]

I like both. My only complaint about the 6 speed was the heavy clutch.. and of course I live in NY so I am going to say too much stop-and-go traffic. My fiance didn't like the way it shifted from first to second. We're hooked on the SMG... at least for now.

mr e, perhaps next time you're in NY you can drop by for me to take the g35 for a spin. I'll consider returning the favor with the smg.[;)]

[:D]
I'm in NYC on the week-ends, usually. Hell, I only live 15 minutes away from the GWB, we can hookup anytime!
Hell, we should have a whole meet! There are a few NYC/NJ residents on this forum.

i agree, we should do that. i live in white plains but work in nyc. it'll be cool if we can get the other ny/nj members to come together and have a meet. probably outside nyc, where we can gather with our cars and just have a grand ol' time.