"Sticking" SMG?

Chris996

I have a 2002 M3 with SMG, and I have noticed it sometimes "sticks" in gear when trying to start, meaning that I shift the selector to "0", but the gear number indicator shows the car is still in first. Usually wiggling the shifter a few times addresses it, but I was stuck for about 30 mins yesterday.

I took it in and the dealer said there are no TSB's or recalls, and the computer wasn't displaying any fault codes.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I have seen this problem with my car as well at times however; it has never taken me 30min. to get back to normal. I usually start and stop the car and move in and out of the gears, place it back into neutral and start again. It will finally change the display to say "0" and be in neutral. I have found (as you have because the car will start) that even though the indicator states "1" or "R' it is indeed in neutral and will start (the car will only start when in neutral for those without SMG).

I have never taken the car in for this. It hasn't caused me too many problems, but has annoyed me in the past. It has happened only 2/3 times to me. How many times or how often has it happened to you?

I would be interested in what the cause could be as well. I have never spoken to anyone about the problem and have not read/heard of anyone else experiencing it.

Question; did your car have the rod bearings and the SMG reprogram “Service Bulletin” performed? My M had these actions done. I have no idea what action/fixes the SMG reprogram did and I am not stating this could be the cause, but makes one wonder…

Good luck and let us know if you find an answer/fix as I will I find one….

P.S. Welcome to the board!

I had a similar problem

I had a similar problem with my SMG M3 also. I would put the car in '0', step on the brake and tap the shifter to the right... the car would not change out of neutral. It started every once in awhile, for whatever reason - when it was raining. I would have to play with shifting from reverse to '1' and back and forth a few times... it was getting irritating and got progressively worse. I had taken the car in and was told that there was nothing wrong and as luck would have it, i would never seem to be able to replicate the problem when i was there. i got stuck leaving my house to go to work one day, for 30 mins. after being extremely frustrated, it went into gear and instead of going to work, i drove it directly to the dealer. spoke with the head of the garage, explained the problem to him and had him take the car out, he went out, came back about 15 mins later and told me that it had just happened to him... he had gone around the block, stopped for a minute to play with the gears and it wouldn't engage. he said that there was definitely something wrong because the diagnostic didn't show anything. they kept the car for 4 days, when i went to pick it up, i was told that a piece of the transmission (not sure exactly what part) had to be replaced but it was a major deal but covered under warranty, i did get a software update for SMG and when they checked, the SMG (?) was losing pressure - and that's why it wasn't engaging.. the mechanic said it was pretty intensive - gave me the invoice and it showed that they had replaced quite a bit... i can only imagine how much that stuff would have cost if not under warranty.
this was october 2003 when it happened - never had a problem with it after that. when you do take it in, ask them about the pressure thing - from my understanding that's the telltale sign for what my problem was.

good luck!

Chris996

update

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that I had lost it, and I was doing something wrong trying to start the car. I'll ask about the pressure drop. It's been fine since the day I posted the question, so maybe just a gremlin.

The car had the rod bearing and SMG upgrade recall completed.

thebrit

I have the same problem while driving. Had it stick in 4th a couple of times. Actually changed itself from 2nd to neutral while on a busy expressway and wouldn't let me change up. Dealer has no idea what problem is. Only happen when very cold out.