Voltran Vogas LPG conversion and lower octane gas

bbb

Hello, sorry for posting in the general area, but I couldn't find an appropriate sub forum.

I have a '93 318i with the M42 engine.

I live in Thailand where 95 octane gas is getting harder and harder to find thanks to the ethanol craze. I have to update my fuel filter,etc., to use ethanol, but I'll face a performance loss. I also don't drive everyday, so I think the ethanol would evaporate.

I know this car doesn't run well on 91 octane, so that's not a real option.

I've heard good things about the Voltran Vogas LPG conversion. It mixes gas from the fuel tank smoothly from the start up transition, when LPG runs out, etc. It also improves on the lower performance otherwise provided by LPG by mixing gas in as needed. This mix also helps lubricate the valves.

This is great, but naturally this assumes that the gas is the correct octane. If I have to use 91 octane, it seems like I'd lose any advantage. But I'm trying to find out if a combination of engine timing and Voltran tweaks can make up for this.

Hope someone on this forum has the experience and/or insight to answer this question. So far, I've had trouble finding a Voltran rep or company who can help. Bet someone has a link! [;)]

Thanks!

Last edited: