well my friends...

It is that time again. I am bored to skirts with the Mini and am looking very forward to selling her. I am looking towards the 335i Sedan, New M3 Sedan or X5 3.0 si. I know the X and the 3 series serve completely different purposes, but I do have the X3 still and my wife WONT let me sell that. it is hers and she loves it. the 335i and the new M3.....? I am conflicted. I can can get into a fully loaded 335i for just over what the base M3 costs. Do you think the stigma of M3 vs. 3 series is worth the extra price?

Big Daddy

I think you should get a Yugo, drive that for a few months and then get back in that Mini...you will love it again! Seriously the "M" is sweet, but reality is sometimes a different story. There I just responded like a person running for office, I said nothing cause I can't make the choice...

Dan, there is nothing wrong with the Mini..... but all it is is fast and good in the curves. It is not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination and there is not really a whole lot I can do to tune it with out replacing the tranny. Mini trannies are weak and most of the JCW Minis have mad trannie issues because of the extra HP and torque. I run through cars like most people run through underwear. I guess I am looking for that Ultimate ride, thrill and fun. I was looking into a shelby GT 500, but once again I run into maint issues. If something breaks I have to ship it back to the states to get fixed as there are no SVT ford shops here in germany.

if you're leasing, then i'd say get the M3, beat the crap outta that thing, and then turn it back in. it's not your car anyways...

but, if you plan on buying, then it's all about $ and badging. the M will hold it's value better than a 335i and have more prestige. but, the cost of owning an M after the warranty period is a bite to the groin. everything on that car is expensive.

if you're leasing, then i'd say get the M3, beat the crap outta that thing, and then turn it back in. it's not your car anyways...

but, if you plan on buying, then it's all about $ and badging. the M will hold it's value better than a 335i and have more prestige. but, the cost of owning an M after the warranty period is a bite to the groin. everything on that car is expensive.

true, true, true..... cant/ wont lease over here. First it is crazy expensive to lease over here, and second I would have to carry German insurance and that would be through the roof for me as a new comer to the german system. I really think that the 335i with a nice ac schnitzer package is the way to go for me.

I am going to test drive all 3 tomarrow, i will post my results and thoughts.

There is a new Player....

The 135i is a BEAST. Took it for a spin today and I may just drop the 335i, M3 thoughts all together. It was white, with terracotta/ black leather two tone inside with navi, sport seats automatic with paddle shifters. I am in LOVE folks and a FULLY loaded 135i is still cheaper than the 335i with minimal options, and 20k less than the M3 with comparable options. It is surprisingly roomy and comfortable. Build quality was awsome and BMW paid alot of attention to detail. I am wieghing heavily in favor of the 135i folks.

Mike I had not even thought about it, but I think the 135i would be a fantastic replacement for the Mini. Are the seats comfortable and solid?

You know Dan, when the salemans said "1 series" I just kinda smirked like, "yeah right" But when I sat in it and started it up and heard the engine.... iwas like WOW. Very solid and comfortable. I expected it to be kinda cheap, I was wrong.... very well put together and as i mentioned before.... alot more spacious than the outside would have you believe. it is only 4 inches shorter than the 3 series. Surprisingly for 3430 lbs... it is very nimble. FULLY loaded it comes in at 39k where as the 335i starts at 37750. The one I am looking at with the options I want will come in at 34-35k

Hey Mike, I would take a loaded 335i over an M3 (better value, less fuel) and the 335i coupe looks almost just like the new M3 anyway. I think the 135i is a great car too. Only seem 2 here so far, and I like it!!!

Do NOT get the X5, while my 08' X5 is better than the 07' model...it is still plagued with lots of electrical problems, and the transmission is total crap. BMW is "trying" to fix it, and hopes by Sept. to have another (yeah, another) software upgrade to help the rough, odd shifting and lagging transmission.

I don't see myself having my 4.8 for too much longer. Feeling kind of burned with BMW. Not too impressed with my last 3 new models (2006 E90 and 2 new X5s). LOVE the looks of the new X5, but it has A LOT of problems. Also, both the 3.0si and 4.8i X5s give roughly 10mpg in city driving. I have never had more of a gas pig. It seems odd, that both models are so ridicously fuel inefficient!

Opinions the leatherette vs leather. They both feel identical and seems the leatherette lasts longer? Just wondering if the extra 1450 dollars is really worth it. I found an 07 335i Sedan with 13k miles for 32995. It really only has the Sports package on it, but still seems like a great deal.

My ultimate 135 is leatherette, comfort access, sport package, and power seats.
This keeps the price tag down to around $38,000 us. Once the price tag hits $40,000 I think that it would make more economical sense to get the 335. I have a date to drive the 135 in July for the ultimate drive. I may change my mind at that point. My way of thinking is that once you are into the same money as a 335, the praticallity of the 3 outweighs any advantage that the 1 has. Which in my view is price
just my 2 cents [;)]

Opinions the leatherette vs leather. They both feel identical and seems the leatherette lasts longer? Just wondering if the extra 1450 dollars is really worth it. I found an 07 335i Sedan with 13k miles for 32995. It really only has the Sports package on it, but still seems like a great deal.
Yes, the leatherette is very durable & long lasting, but you change cars about as frequent as I do :) Leather is also very durable, and unless you get BMW Nappa leather (gorgeous, but soft & buttery), BMW regular or "Dakota" leather is quite hard, rough and very strong.

I've had only 2 cars with non-leather interiors, and I regretted not having it. Honestly, leatherette and leather do no look, feel or smell the same. There is NO substitution for leather. Trust me on this one!