What does a relay do?

I think one might be busted. I replaced it. Anyways, I was just wondering what they do. They sit right next to fuses but I know what fuses do.

wow, thanks! Turns out it was the relay. Popped in a new one, charged the battery, and the van is good to go. Thank goodness it was only a $12 part. Stupid Dodge decides to crap out 701 miles after the warranty expires. In 3 years the thing dropped to less than 1/3 its value too. Stupid van is worth less than my 7 year old Civic now.

Yea, relay's can be a pain in the 6utt! My Z car has a turn signal relay that constantly goes out. I have to replace that thing at least 6-7 times a year. I finally bought a bunch and keep them in the car to replace when they go out. Think god it is easy access under the dash by my knee and doesn't require and tools, but boy is it a pain in the a$$. [;)]

Wadula said:
ouch...that's bad codex. seems you have to drive it till you die, or the car what ever comes first! maybe you following generations will find use in it?
The van really sucks. We're not sure what to do with it. It's pretty gutless so I personally don't like driving it (it's my mom's everyday car). We kinda wanna get rid of it and get something with a little more room and features. Maybe a Sienna or something, but with a resale that low, we might have to just drive it til it dies. The problem is we don't know how long it'll last since stuff has started breaking right around the end of the warranty period (first it was the alarm and power door locks, now this relay thing). I'm a little worried about the relay b/c I dunno what happened. It was a small noise which eventually grew REALLY loud. I don't want to have to keep replacing it like ///M Speed does. I mean, a Z I can understand since it's a nice car, but a crappy van that we don't really want no more? No way.

codex57 said:
The van really sucks. We're not sure what to do with it. It's pretty gutless so I personally don't like driving it (it's my mom's everyday car). We kinda wanna get rid of it and get something with a little more room and features. Maybe a Sienna or something, but with a resale that low, we might have to just drive it til it dies. The problem is we don't know how long it'll last since stuff has started breaking right around the end of the warranty period (first it was the alarm and power door locks, now this relay thing). I'm a little worried about the relay b/c I dunno what happened. It was a small noise which eventually grew REALLY loud. I don't want to have to keep replacing it like ///M Speed does. I mean, a Z I can understand since it's a nice car, but a crappy van that we don't really want no more? No way.
Man that really sucks. The car companies sure know the life span of most parts on the vehicles they make and make the warranties expire just before those times up. With the old "Z" I have I know it is an electrical issue, but it doesn't really affect the car (i.e. fuses, wiring, lighting etc...) and I just haven't taken the time to troubleshoot. One day I may, but the car is just sitting in my garage feeling no love lately.

I would try selling the van outright instead of trading it in. You will be very depressed to find out what a dealer would give you for a vehicle compared to what you can get to sell it yourself. Good luck with your dilemma. [rolleyes]

demq

If it is just a regular relay, then it's easy to check it, just get a small 9V battery, and connect it to the 2 poles of the relay which are supposed to be connected to the control, and then the coil should work and the relay should click, the two other poles should be then get connected together (there shouldn't be any resistance between them). When you disconnect the battery
the two poles should be disconnected too. If it is more complicated relay, it might let's say connect two poles for only several seconds when you turn it on, or something else(depending on the circuit that's in there).
What about the Z, I think you better find out what's causing to get it fried ASAP, until something else, more expensive or more "hard to rich" won't get fried...

demq said:
If it is just a regular relay, then it's easy to check it, just get a small 9V battery, and connect it to the 2 poles of the relay which are supposed to be connected to the control, and then the coil should work and the relay should click, the two other poles should be then get connected together (there shouldn't be any resistance between them). When you disconnect the battery
the two poles should be disconnected too. If it is more complicated relay, it might let's say connect two poles for only several seconds when you turn it on, or something else(depending on the circuit that's in there).
What about the Z, I think you better find out what's causing to get it fried ASAP, until something else, more expensive or more "hard to rich" won't get fried...
Not too worried about it. It has had this problem for more that ten years. It's a 72'. The main cause is the alarm system in it. Damn problem started after that. I am going to remove the alarm (the company has long since gone out of buisness (Ungo)) and then the problem should go away. One day it will work, but for now it just sits.