Which oil is best for the 330Ci??

AmyG

Bought a 3 yr old 330Ci M Sport last month and was wondering if it needs any particular brand of oil - any recommendations?

How often have other users found they've had to fill up with oil as I've heard some nightmare stories - every 1000 miles??! I'm hoping this was just a vicious rumour!!

Amy

Noah

oil type

I used to use bmw 5w-30 full synthetic oil in my 328i as it was under warranty and changed it every 15,000 miles as the warranty said to do. however, after warranty ran out, i have changed to mobil1 5w-30. and change it every 7,500 along w/ the filter. I had to get a new valve cover gasket as oil was dropping in my garage last year. I went to my independent mechanic (excellent mechanic) and he about had a fit when he pulled off the valve cover the area there was coated w/ sludge. He asked me how often I changed the oil and I told him the warranty said every 15,000 miles. well after he flushed out the odl oil and trhen replaced it w/ new mobile 1, I now should change it every 2500 miles for the next 10,000 miles then go back to a 7500 interval. message learned- change oil before the 15,000 mile "warranty" says to do so. my 328i has 85000 miles and is as strong as she was when new. this car kicks butt just tooling on the freeway at 85 or 90.

Big Daddy

I have used Mobil1 for years and have always changed my oil every 5,000 miles, never a sludge. I have never believed in BMW's 15,000 mile oil change and when my car was new I changed it once myself between each 15k BMW change!

Nope, if it can be done at all, it would require the software/programmer that only dealers have. My guess is that even they cannot change this.

Noah

there is a way to do this it involves turning the key to the #1 posioton and also pressing the odometer button and switching the key off and on to the #1 spot. you dont start the engine you just press the trio meter and switch the key off and on. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it can be done I watched the service guy at bmw do it on my 2000 328i about 2 years ago.

noyE46

my vote is for the Mobil 1, 5w30 Full Synthetic. This can be found at your local Wal-Mart in a a 5qt bottle or 1 gallon, plus you need to get one extra quart. I recommend changing every 5k also. Don't let the local auto parts stores like O'reilly or Autozone fool you cuz there big oil jug is only 4 qt. not 5qt like Wal-Mart

there is a way to do this it involves turning the key to the #1 posioton and also pressing the odometer button and switching the key off and on to the #1 spot. you dont start the engine you just press the trio meter and switch the key off and on. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it can be done I watched the service guy at bmw do it on my 2000 328i about 2 years ago.
This RESETS the oil service indicator, but that's not what was asked.

Amy asked if the INTERVAL could be changed from 15K to 5K miles. This will not do that.

Noah

This RESETS the oil service indicator, but that's not what was asked.

Amy asked if the INTERVAL could be changed from 15K to 5K miles. This will not do that.
It can be done once you activatye the computer you can change the 15,000 # down to 7,500 and even lower to 5000; this can also be done to re set the service interval.

Any motor oil that isn't too thick should work fine for your coupe, like many others I use mobil motor oil, stay away from spending money on anything that says "Race", no use on spending extra money that really only makes your head and money go faster, not your car.

Mobil1 5W-30 for the win!

I use the TWS 5w-30 in the M. It is the factory recommended oil for the M's. I will continue to use until the warrantee runs out, then I will problably go with Mobile1 for a bit (small bit) of a price savings.....

sgoetz628

I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to have mine reset. he STRONGLY CAUTIONED AGAINST DOING IT MYSELF (he'll do it for free). he said if it's done incorrectly, then all language turns to German. no kidding! so unless you speak German, you will then be up the proverbial autobahn w/o a paddle. not a good thing.

BBARON

It is waste of time and money to change your oil more often than what BMW proscribes. I have a 2003 530i with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have changed the oil when the service indicator has dictated that it be done. I drive mostly highway miles and in my case the interval is typically about 18,000 miles. I buy the cheapest fully synthetic 5w-30 oil available - Catrol or Pennzoil. My car turned 235,000 miles this morning. I still get 29-30 mpg miles on the highway. My car does use a little oil and usage does pickup the further I get into the interval. I have to add the first quart after 5,000 miles and by the end of the interval I have to add a quart after 2,000 miles. Maybe I could keep it even longer if I had changed the oil every 5,000 miles but what is the point. Other things on your car will break down way before your engine wears out. If you drive your car this far, believe me when I say a little oil usage will be far from the biggist problem that you'll have.

Yes I think it does. Cheaper brands of oil use paraffin wax as a base that can gunk up your engine. I recommend this site for information on oil change intervals and this one for what oil to use and other oil related questions.

Thanks for the links. My car actually has more than 120K on it right now and I am noticing a rattling sound of sorts when my car idles..... I popped the hood with the engine running and it sounds like its coming from the belts near the front grill..... any idea what this could be?

I'm scared to bring it to a shop cause I'm scared they will make up some BS and charge me something ridiculous.....