X3 2.5i (463)

X3 2.5i (E83)

The first shipment of custom ordered X3 (Model 463) are arriving in NYC and will be delivered to dealers after being prep'ed this week. I have a X3 2.5i loaded with everything except the sport package due to be delivered. Since we had to order it blind (only 3.0i test cars have been available), I will provide a comparison to my 325i Sport and the X3 3.0i I have test driven after I've taken delivery. In the mean time I've got a few topics to kick things off:

I didn't get the sport package, because after test driving, I was very pleased wth the suspension without sport tuning and looking at the X3 all season tires - they just fit the design. Also you can't get the heated steering wheel with the sport wheel and its just too cold in the northeast to live without that. Anyone driven a sport package?

The only difference I can see between the X3 2.5i and X3 3.0i options once loaded up is the 3.0i is available with 4-way adjustable lumbar support. Of course the rim designs are different. Any other differences?

The premium package for the 2.5i is a little confusing - it is not clear in all that I have read what is included. I have the official as-built options list for my X3 and the premium package is listed as including: multi-function steering wheel, panorama moonroof, auto-dimming mirror, interior trim, power front seats, storage package, foglights, rain sensor, automatic air conditioning, on-board computer, BMW Assist.

Will the X3 with factory all season tires require snow tires? I test drove the X3 3.0i in 20 inches of wet snow and ice, it had absolutely no problem getting around. The xDrive is amazing in deep snow constantly shifting torque to find the best traction. Anyone have any other experiences?

HoopSurfer

Last edited:

SoccerFan

Manual or Auto

Is your 2.5 coming in as an automatic or manual transmission? My local dealership told me that the manual transmissions will not go into production until March. In fact I was told that I they can not place my order now because it is too far out. Does anyone know if this is true?

[thumb]

SoccerFan

Manual or Auto

Is your 2.5 coming in as an automatic or manual transmission? My local dealership told me that the manual transmissions will not go into production until March. In fact I was told that I they can not place my order now because it is too far out. Does anyone know if this is true?

[thumb]

From BMW as-built report:

X3 2.5i, Auto, Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium, Pkg, Heated Steering, Luggage Net, Front Armrest, Xenon, Adaptive Headlights, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat Radio, Privacy

SoccerFan

Sounds Great

I placed an order for a X3 2.5, 6 Speed, Leather, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenon, Premium Sound and sat radio back on December 2nd. I have been asking my local dealership about the order number so I can track the vehicle. They told me over the weekend that they can not place the production order yet because it is too far out. (The 6 Speed Transmission versions will not be built until March.) I was told all this after I was given a production number for a Z4.

This is my first BMW and must say that I am not too happy about the way everything is being handled. From reading various forums, I was under the impression that BMW took care of their customers.

Your X3 sounds sweet. I hope the delivery goes well.

epj3

Re: Manual or Auto

SoccerFan said:

[thumb]
My local dealer has 2 X3's right now with the 6 speed manual tranny.

epj3

By the way, I have to say that the local dealer really impressed me. I'm 18, and i got more respect (a LOT more) from the bmw dealer than the local GM dealer.

If i had the money, i'd be more than happy to buy a car from them.

The dealer can give you a production or VIN number as soon as the car is scheduled for production, before that time they can just give you a rough date - they also have limited numbers of cars they can order so you may be running into the fact that the dealer has used up their initial slots and is as frustrated as you are. Once you have that number you can track the car at the BMW owners circle website.

The X3 is a brand new car on a new production line, it will take some time for them to get the line fully up and building all options. Note that just about every dealer has two X3s in stock - 1 for test drives, 1 for showroom, but they are hesitant to sell them (they need them to pull in more orders).

My experience with my dealer and their service department has been incredible. They take very good care of their customers. Perhaps you should ask to speak with the general manager and explain your concerns.

Hoop

epj, what did you do at the dealer? Just sat in different cars or actually bought something (floor mats or something)? I went to BMW of Manhattan the other day to get a driver's side mirror and the parts department has nothing to do with the showrooms so I didn't even bother, although I did go in the Certified Pre-Owned BMW showroom because I couldn't find the parts department and I saw this woman sitting at the desk doing nothing. She helped me and was very nice but something tells me that they would treat me completely different if I was asking for test drives. I'm really surprised you got that much respect.

MJM

Hoopsurfer: congratulations on your purchase of your new X3. I have a 3.0 on order that was just built but is awaiting shipment to the US. I ordered the same color as you with the Black Leather interior. What dealer did you purchase your X3 from?

MJM

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
andreyiv said:
epj, what did you do at the dealer? Just sat in different cars or actually bought something (floor mats or something)? I went to BMW of Manhattan the other day to get a driver's side mirror and the parts department has nothing to do with the showrooms so I didn't even bother, although I did go in the Certified Pre-Owned BMW showroom because I couldn't find the parts department and I saw this woman sitting at the desk doing nothing. She helped me and was very nice but something tells me that they would treat me completely different if I was asking for test drives. I'm really surprised you got that much respect.
Heh, sales isn't that bad, try their service department thats where the real fun starts....

Oh as for test drives I've got their famous line "Nobody really wants a NYC test drive since there is really no where to go" (but feel free to buy a car blindly)

Last edited:
Bmw 325i 7803 said:
Heh, sales isn't that bad, try their service department thats where the real fun starts....

Oh as for test drives I've got their famous line "Nobody really wants a NYC test drive since there is really no where to go" (but feel free to buy a car blindly)
Good thing I didn't even bother then. The only thing I would really really want to test drive is the Z8 but from what you said I don't think it's even possible unless you somehow let them know you have a new M5 or something. BTW I did try their service department, the only thing I liked about it is the nice heated garage. [fake] I went to get the radio code (on the phone the operator said it's free of charge) and when I get there they start BSing me. The idiot that was supposed to know how to get it said it'd be free of charge if the radio was locked (it was working and I was getting the code just in case I have to disconect power from it). At that same moment I tell him "Fine, I'll just disconnect the battery right now and the radio will lock", understanding that I just a tad bit of brain power he says that it's different and I'd have to pay 118 bucks if I remember exactly. I can sell the HU on ebay and get a better one for that money. [rolleyes]

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
They dont have a Z8 or an M5 on the lot..... Unless that Black 65k used m5 didnt sell..... If they are reluctant to let a buyer test drive a 325i then I wouldn't even bother asking for the above mentioned.