X3, here we go

It's not great looking, but it's getting great reviews (see edmunds.com). The X3 gives me several things my '01 325iT doesn't have: significant cargo space behind the back seat, xDrive and the 3.0 liter engine. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Don

bahnstormer said:
i think its silly to make this...they're just making it to make money
i don't think its a good idea
What's wrong with making money?? That's the exact same reason why Porsche created the Cayenne...for the loot. [:D] [:D]

epj3

Making money is what the company is there for...why else would they be in business? Love of cars? No way!!!

I would much rather have an X5...the X3 is getting pretty close to a minivan.

BMW is opening up to a whole other market with this vehicle. It's gonna cost just about the same as a E46, about $30,000 for a 2.5, and about $36,000 for a 3.0 - those are starting prices on both. Slightly more cargo space than a X5, and it's actually going to have some pretty impressive off-road capabilities!!!

Ougeta

i think the x3 was a smart move, for someone who wants an bme suv, but can't afford the x5.
and as for bmw trying to make money, hell, i'm sure if any1 of us was calling the shot our eyes would be dollar signs...

well it is replacing the wagons, which makes perfect sense to me, since they do offer x varient w/ the wagons, mind as well jump into the hot suv market.

and yea, i'm not too hot about the looks, but my first impression of it was better than that of the 5er, and i'm coming around on those.. so we'll see when the dealer gets em in at end of nov ^^

the X3 is going to be so hot. i was just at the dealer and they are already talking to customers about it. demo arrives on 11/28 and orders can be placed in 02/04.

Well, I don't know about waiting until February to place an order.........

Our X3 is 'scheduled for production' so it should be moving down the line shortly, I think we will actually get it in 2/04, but it is being built out of the initial allocation to our BMW center.

I went to my dealership today and eyeballed the X3. No photo does this vehicle justice. It is IMHO the best looking SUV out there. The photos tend to make it look like a wagon, but it is a true SUV. The streamline appearance gives it a larger look than the actual dimensions. It's not the best for cargo hauling, but I would choose it over the 330xi

Dave8812

I read in some magazine(motor trend, car and driver: one of those things) that they made the suspension so stiff, that stuff started to rattle off the car. Like little plastic pieces and things inside. But besides that, it's a really good SUV.

Yeah, I read reviews in two different magazines (Automobile and Car & Driver) and they both said the ride is just way too stiff. It is a sports car on stilts, which is a bad idea for a luxury SUV. I think I would really like it, though. [:)]

It is stiff, but unless your flying over bumpy roads it's not too bad. Comparing the Infiniti FX to the X3, the X3 is like a Lincoln Town Car. The ride is well worth it since the handling is so freaking good...

Is it me or does the plastic bumpers need to go. When I went to the auto show the bumpers seemed horrible flimsy compared to the X5....

...and eh, the Door actuation wasn't all the great either. IMO, the door handle felt worse than the Hyundai I was messing around with earlier that day...