X5 Owners - Would you recommend???

BTM3

X5 owners, would you recommend one? Any weird quirks that you don't like about them after owning for awhile?

My girl is looking for one - I've made her a bimmer fan with my M3 but she doesn't want an M. (intimidates her and she's always worried if she drives it) But, she loves the way the X5 looks, wants four doors and the utility part of a 4X4 in addition to us having a lab puppy, he's 9 mos old and already 105lbs. (he's a monster!)

She doesn't really care if its the 3.0 or 4.4, I prefer MORE POWER but its not a big deal to her. I'd just like to know what people's thoughts are on these as I don't know anyone who owns one.

Thanks-

I have an E46 M3 and my wife drives a 2001 4.4i X5 that we have both enjoyed very much. No problems other than keeping a back on black car looking clean. A silver 2004 4.4i arrives in November, so we liked it enough to lease a second one.

I think you will be happy.

Tom

Staff Team
bobowick said:
I have an E46 M3 and my wife drives a 2001 4.4i X5 that we have both enjoyed very much. No problems other than keeping a back on black car looking clean. A silver 2004 4.4i arrives in November, so we liked it enough to lease a second one.

I think you will be happy.
bobowick, may I ask how much are your lease payments?

The 2001 was loaded with everything except the retractable load floor, and was a 28 month lease with minimum down for $998 per month. No negotiating what so ever took place on this one, walked in and took it off the floor that day and surprised the wife. I am sure you could do better. Still negotiating on the 2004 and may very well end up buying rather than leasing.

I LOVE the vehicle and highly recommend it. Keeps getting better everyday. Mine is absolutely trouble-free and superbly put together. A sports car on stilts. You don't really know you are driving an SUV. I have the sport package and 19 inch performance tires...not sure I would get that again. I am now riding on the 18 inch snow and ice tires and the ride is noticeably more compliant, and I prefer it. (But I like the other options that come with the sport package, like the seats and steering wheel and anthracite headliner). Rear visibility is dangerously poor, though. Park distance control is a safety must. Don't get the car without it. (Saved the life of a neighbour's child as I was driving out of my driveway.) In my city they are a dime a dozen, but still my car gets admiring stares and you feel like a million bucks driving it. [thumb]

Yup...

bobalouie said:
I LOVE the vehicle and highly recommend it. Keeps getting better everyday. Mine is absolutely trouble-free and superbly put together. A sports car on stilts. You don't really know you are driving an SUV. I have the sport package and 19 inch performance tires...not sure I would get that again. I am now riding on the 18 inch snow and ice tires and the ride is noticeably more compliant, and I prefer it. (But I like the other options that come with the sport package, like the seats and steering wheel and anthracite headliner). Rear visibility is dangerously poor, though. Park distance control is a safety must. Don't get the car without it. (Saved the life of a neighbour's child as I was driving out of my driveway.) In my city they are a dime a dozen, but still my car gets admiring stares and you feel like a million bucks driving it. [thumb]
DITTO [:D]

I love the car as well and the only option I don't have, I couldn't get it anyway. However, since I'm in Germany, I will get it before I leave next year. The option is the TV Tuner which enables you to watch TV at vehicle stops, and has two external video inputs as well. I went with the 18" wheels originally and plan to get 22" wheels also before I leave, (you might say I'm inclined for punishment). I have not used the rear electric rear seatback adjustment, and I still don't know how to use the headlamp washers, nor have I had a use for them.

Kierre,

22 inch wheels? oh boy!

the manual says that the headlamp washers come on every xth time (can't remember) you wash the windshield. Silly I think. I like to be more in control. And, perhaps, when you press the S button on the end of the windshield washer stalk to super clean the windshield. Speaking of which....the BMW windshield washer fluid that came with the car had such a strong odor (alcohol) I almost passed out the first time I cleaned the windows.[eek] [xx(]

sqpunz

If you want the best system in 4 wheeling, for me nothing beats the x-drive of BMW. It's the closest you'll ever get to perfection. The numbers speak for themselves (all from car mags and newspapers), they all sing arias of irrefutable facts, way beyond the murky choruses of subjectivity, slant and spin. Siguradong panalo ka! Filipino for: sure is a winner! [fake] vonn punzalan [burnout]

Last edited:

HELLRAZR

i own a 2003 X5 4.4i fully loaded exept for the adjustable susp. and the steppers. this thing is by far the best driving experience ever, i couldn't wait till the new look comes out altho Ellie Saab (who's my customer, and designer of the 2004 x5) showed me what the 2004 look is gonna be like almost a year ago. i took the X5 for a test drive and i couldn't wait i had to buy one. After borrowing my X5 a few times, my dad is gonna trade in his Cayenne S for the X5 5.0 Hartge. highly recommend it. haven't tested it on ice or snow or even sand so i can't really comment there but no suv grips road the way the X5 does, even in heavy rain.

kmvas

I have come from a long heritage of owning Porsches (993, boxster, 996) and then moved to the e46 M3 cabrio smg. Then, this summer I bought a second hand 4.4 X5 to drive to my summer holidays. That was an immediate attraction. Now I sold the M3 and bought an almost brand new X5 4.6is. This car is really superb - civilised, super quiet, super fast. It has it all!!!!
Heavily recommended

I agree withthese posters. I have an X5 3.0 pretty much loaded too
I have had ZERO problems , cruises like a dream handles like some one said
a sports care on stilts!
You will not be disappointed with the big 6cyl/225hp lotsa torque, but
to each their own [^]

kibitz

5 speed X 5

I have been driving a 5 speed X-5 for about 6 months and I can't get enough of it. I am a dealer and get to drive many different vehicles but I can't think of a vehicle that scores so high in so many catagories. My only problem is that the company frowns upon keeping a demo too long so I am fighting to prolong the demo period.

sqpunz said:
If you want the best system in 4 wheeling, for me nothing beats the x-drive of BMW. It's the closest you'll ever get to perfection. The numbers speak for themselves (all from car mags and newspapers), they all sing arias of irrefutable facts, way beyond the murky choruses of subjectivity, slant and spin. Siguradong panalo ka! Filipino for: sure is a winner! [fake] vonn punzalan [burnout]
This is a BMW forum and we are all (sans trolls) pro-BMW to be sure, but the Xdrive system is not the end all, be all in 4 wheeling. AWD has compromises. The ULTIMATE in 4 wheeling is a true 4WD system with individual locking differentials.

The X5 is a great sporty little truck and is what I am looking for in a Sport Ute, should I ever decide to buy one (damn near bought one a few weeks ago), but it's off road capabilities are average. A Jeep, Hummer or Land Rover are far superior for going off road. I'd still take an X5, but I think that your passion has muddied the message.

BTW, the numbers do speak for themselves, and they anoint the X5 as a sporty on-road driver with limited off-road capability. I don't think that adds up to the ultimate in 4 wheeling.

I would also note that X5 3.0 was adequate in power, even with the steptronic, and I am a power junkie. Unless you do a lot of towing, a 3.0 is enough for most people.