BMW 330 vs G35

sly

adrean8j said:
Wow! Japanese cars are shit? Now that is very, very new to me! Since Honda and Toyota and Nissan have been making cars that people, including fan boys like you will buy AND keep buying i dont see how you can justify that statement......

I hate to say it...and I am not calling you names but are you "bourgeois"?
I mean really? The interior on BMW's is high quality but "boring" to look at....if you were comparing "visually" the interior of the G35 to something like....lets say the Audis then I could see how your comments would be partially justified but optically IMHO the interior of BMW's old and new is a little bit boring(still very high quality though)

Great post. I've owned several BMWs over the years, the last one being an '02 M3. I have nothing but respect for the product that BMW produces, but they are just too pricey IMO. Each person must make their own assessment on that point however, and if others disagree, that's fine and I certainly am not going to question their intelligence.

As far as interiors are concerned, the only car that I've owned that really stands out with a great looking interior was my Audi TT roadster. Even the Porsche 996 that I owned didn't have a great interior, and as a matter of fact I would describe it as disappointing when price is considered. Although I've never owned a 330, I assume its interior was similar to an M3 which I did own, and its interior was kind of blah. Quality blah, but still blah.

Bottom line is that the vast majority of people couldn't care less what someone else is driving. So the best policy is to buy what you like and not what you think will impress your neighbor.

Look, I hate to beat this into the ground, but the G35 owners will obviously defend their horrible decision to buy an overrated and inferior car to the E90. And, on the other hand, the E90 owner will obviously defend his choice to spend more money on getting a quality vehicle.

To each his own, I guess. G35 owners seem to be just like women (I'm sure most of them are)... no matter how many times you point out the obvious, they'll still always be right. I suppose E90 owners will be right as well... it's just that we seem to awake when we talk about the E90.

sly

newty25 said:
Look, I hate to beat this into the ground, but the G35 owners will obviously defend their horrible decision to buy an overrated and inferior car to the E90. And, on the other hand, the E90 owner will obviously defend his choice to spend more money on getting a quality vehicle.

To each his own, I guess. G35 owners seem to be just like women (I'm sure most of them are)... no matter how many times you point out the obvious, they'll still always be right. I suppose E90 owners will be right as well... it's just that we seem to awake when we talk about the E90.
Wow newty25, I'm not quite sure how to respond to a position so eloquently written. So I'll just let it alone unchallenged. After all you support your observations with so much factual data that it would be pointless for me to try to refute them.

newty25 said:

newty25, you are an impressive person. You have managed to squeeze an overwhelming amount of ignorance and arrogance all in one post. I salute you! [?|]

Did you even bother reading any of sly's posts? He came from an 02 BMW M3. Even I was previously only driving German cars before the G35C.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
MrElussive said:
newty25, you are an impressive person. You have managed to squeeze an overwhelming amount of ignorance and arrogance all in one post. I salute you! [?|]

Did you even bother reading any of sly's posts? He came from an 02 BMW M3. Even I was previously only driving German cars before the G35C.
And I drive a BMW still!!!! (Although the G35 sports coupe is one of the few japanese cars i would consider buying![thumb])

sly

MrElussive said:

MrElussive: I think newty25 is following the age old advice given to lawyers, which goes something like this: when you have the facts on your side, pound on the facts; when you have the law on your side, pound on the law; but if you have neither the facts nor the law on your side, pound on the table. I think metaphorically, newty25 is pounding on the table.

Over the years I have owned a lot of high performance cars. I've owned several BMWs, the latest being an '02 M3, several Audis, the latest being an '02 TTR, and several Porsches, the latest being a 996. I never purchased any of these cars because I was concerned about what others would think. I simply bought them because I liked them and could afford them.

A far as the G35 is concerned, I bought it because I liked its interior and exterior design (thank God you can buy one without the ugly shark fin), and because it has adequate power and decent gas mileage. The fact that I could buy one for a little over half the price of my M3 or a a little over a third of the price of my 996 was simply a bonus.

Thanks for the salute Mr. Elusive... check out this little quote from C&D I thought you might like to see:
"The one consistent truism in the modern car business is this: To say unkind things about the BMW 3-series is to reveal yourself as an infidel or idiot. Possibly both. So pervasive is the acceptance of 3-series superiority in sports sedans that seemingly not a month passes when some carmaker isn't selling us on its new 3-series copy. Imitation remains the sincerest form of flattery. Many are good cars, some are good enough to make our 10Best list, but none beats the 3-series at its own game."
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=4195

Of course, that quote is from April 2003... but it seems to me that BMW just keeps getting better. And, it seems kind of odd to me that sly's loyalty to BMW keeps him coming back (at least to the BMW forums)... yet he's driving a G35. I know this was a thread about the 3 versus the G35... but, c'mon guy... let BMW owners (at least current ones) discuss the reasons for not buying the G35... go over to the Infinity foums, hang out, and slam the new E90. Don't come over here and spew some ignorant rhetoric about the G35 being better. It's simply not. C&D knows it (the new E90 has been rated tops again... over the G35), the people on this forum know it, and people who have test driven both cars know it.

It just seems to me like you guys are in the dark. Flip on the light switch! Start trying to figure out why you haven't discovered what everyone already knows. Oh, and get that blank look off your faces as well. It looks quite silly.

newty25, there is no blank look on my face, and sly and I never slammed the E90 at all. Honestly, where are you coming from with all this nonsense?

This is a BMW 330 vs G35 thread and since sly and I both drive G35's, our opinions easily help out this thread. If you peruse through all of our posts, you'll see that sly and I never even came close to bashing the BMW and we kept any bias we may have to a minimum. Nobody is disputing the greatness of the 3-Series, but sly and I are stating that the premium you pay for the 3-Series simply has to be worth it for each person. Get off your high horse and we can continue this thread with logic, facts, and opinions that are not ridiculously arrogant.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Oh jeez....he/she could never be a lawyer with any type of clout(and if he/she is then i feel sorry for the clients) because the opposing lawyer would eat him alive with the facts...namely the facts in the thread. 1. We never said the E90 is a bad car inside or out. 2. We never said that the G35 is a "better" car. 3. It WAS said the the G35 is a very good bargain for power to price ratio, quality to price ratio. 4. It WAS said that BMW's are not necessarily the BEST bargain("bang for buck" if you will) power/price. 5. The quality of the BMW interior is unanimously agreed upon to be top-notch. 6. The visual aesthetic of the BMW interior "possibly" needs some work.....

All that being said the interior of the G35 looks decent but the quality of the parts used is not on the same level of BMW....can everyone agree that statement????

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
newty25 said:
It just seems to me like you guys are in the dark. Flip on the light switch! Start trying to figure out why you haven't discovered what everyone already knows. Oh, and get that blank look off your faces as well. It looks quite silly.
Dude I still drive a bimmer and both of these guys have driven the BEST that BMW has to offer!!!! How is it that C&D (pretty cool mag even though) became the expert on what everyday drivers like ourselves on the board like about BMW?
C&D like the new Cadillac and 300c's too! Well guess what? I dont like them at all!!!! But i DO like bimmers...my whole damn car club is bimmers! Go look at our webpage..(www.bmw-syndikat.de)....now after that come on here and tell me I am in the dark you pompous ass!!! [boxface]

Meh, sorry for starting such a ruckus. I was just playing around. Not so much about the interior of the G35... I really don't like it. You are right about the interior of the E90 though... it is boring (It always has been). And, I do like the exterior of the G35 and the price (and the HP and torque!).

Like I said... I did refuse to test drive it when I saw the interior... but I don't think drivers of the cars are morons (this includes sly and MrElusive)... no more than I am for driving what I like. I've actually said to myself several times... "If they had only engineered the interior of that car with half a brain... I'd be driving that car right now!"

That's the only serious hang-up I think the G35 has. I'll bet it does drive well!
PS I agree with what adrean8j wrote. Nicely done, mate.

Last edited:
Nobody disputes the cheapness of the G35's interior. It is obvious that major cost-cutting did occur...Infiniti made it nicer for 2005 models but it is still on the cheap side compared to a 3-Series interior. I agree that when you are driving the car, you're dealing with the interior and not the exterior. But when I was fishing for my car, I wanted the fastest, highest-performing vehicle for the money that still offers leather seats, navigation system, and a premium stereo system. The interior is enough for me so I had no hesitations about it....it came down to the 330Ci and the G35C, but after test-driving them both I just enjoyed the G more. It does not have that German car feel to it where you feel very connected to the vehicle, but it hauls ass, there is not much body roll in the turns, and the brakes are great, and it provides the luxury that I wanted.

sly

adrean8j said:
Oh jeez....he/she could never be a lawyer with any type of clout(and if he/she is then i feel sorry for the clients) because the opposing lawyer would eat him alive with the facts...namely the facts in the thread. 1. We never said the E90 is a bad car inside or out. 2. We never said that the G35 is a "better" car. 3. It WAS said the the G35 is a very good bargain for power to price ratio, quality to price ratio. 4. It WAS said that BMW's are not necessarily the BEST bargain("bang for buck" if you will) power/price. 5. The quality of the BMW interior is unanimously agreed upon to be top-notch. 6. The visual aesthetic of the BMW interior "possibly" needs some work.....

All that being said the interior of the G35 looks decent but the quality of the parts used is not on the same level of BMW....can everyone agree that statement????
I can. Just because I don't presently own a BMW, doesn't mean I won't own one in the future. If it weren't for BMW, there definately wouldn't have been a G35. BMW without question sets the standard.

BTW the reason I still visit this Board is because there are lots of unbiased car enthusiasts here, and I enjoy reading their views.

sly said:
I can. Just because I don't presently own a BMW, doesn't mean I won't own one in the future. If it weren't for BMW, there definately wouldn't have been a G35. BMW without question sets the standard.

BTW the reason I still visit this Board is because there are lots of unbiased car enthusiasts here, and I enjoy reading their views.
werd to that. You don't even need to justify being here, I've been here for 5,800+ posts and I am still not behind the wheel of a BMW yet, lol.

newty25 said:
but, c'mon guy... let BMW owners (at least current ones) discuss the reasons for not buying the G35... go over to the Infinity foums, hang out, and slam the new E90. Don't come over here and spew some ignorant rhetoric about the G35 being better. It's simply not. C&D knows it (the new E90 has been rated tops again... over the G35), the people on this forum know it, and people who have test driven both cars know it.

first off, belated welcome aboard. its always nice to see new spunky kids on the board.

over the years, i've become less enthused about what the car mags write, mostly becuase they really sound like they are taking out of their butt. (just like the latest shootout article w/ the e90, they just put out.) but speaking of C&D, didn't the g35 make the top 10 cars a few times? along w/ the 3er? not too shabby if you ask me.

to the fanboys: "Fear Leads To Anger, Anger Leads To Hate, Hate Leads to Suffering." better listen to the green puppet.