Dealer charging over on a 2005 M3....crazy

I was at my local dealer getting a dent removed from my M3 baby last week.

I went to the mall shopping with my mother (mistake #1). There was a parking spot on the first level next to a concrete pole. My first hunch was to not park there, but my mom kept saying that there was plenty of room, and there was NO way in hell another car could park between me and another car next to me. So I listened to her and parked there (mistake #2)

When we came out...I literally felt my heart drop into my stomach. Squeezed next to my M3, and the other car was a white Chevy Suburban with Nevada plates, and lots of luggage on the roof. Right away I ran over there, and saw that the family was still in the car. I asked them if they were careful getting in (it was so tight, I could not check myself (mistake #3). He nervously said yes, then high-tailed it out of the spot.

Sure enough...he whacked my passenger door, and left me with a 1- 1.5 inch door dent/crease. Luckily there was Zero!!! paint damage.

Getting back to the pricing for the 2005 M3....I went to the dealer the very next day to have the dent removed....and while waiting walked around the lot looked at cars. They had about 5-6 2005 M3 coupes and about 2-3 cabrios (in addition to about 50 2006 E90s). They are charging $3000.00 over sticker on the Comp. Pkg. M3. This car has less features than mine, and they want 3k over (they said for Market adjustment). I got almost 3k off sticker the first month the Comp. Pkg was launched. They're out of their mind.

Sorry for the long email!! Just rambling today!! [:p]

Oh yeah, my sales guy said that the 2006 E90s are leasing for more than a 530i, and 330ci loaded cabrios. It is def. hindering sales.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
That sucks, everytime I'm in a parking garage I always try to park next to a BMW or if your lucky between two BMWs, hasn't failed me yet.

That is crazy! Someone need to tell him the CORRECT market adjustment for a 2005!!!!

The E90 lease rates suck. I guess they are not real confident in the 3 Series resale value. I know someone (BMW FS) is getting nailed on my car-it's not worth the residual.

Tom

Staff Team
Yeah sorry to hear about the dent, I can't believe they are charging that much money for the E46 M3 even though there is a new one around the corner.

It is not the residual value of the car that is at fault. The lease rate is what hurts the E90 leasing right now. I belive it is in the .00290 range right now which equates too almost 7% interest.

Yeah. It is awesome. For years I have used this company called Dent Masters...but lately they are very hard to get a hold of. A lot of dealers here in SoCal offer paintless door dent removal They either tap it out from the inside out, or use a special suction machine. You cannot even tell I had a 1-1.5 inch dent/crease. As long as there is no paint damage...you would never know there was a dent. My car is now back to 100% perfect ;)

More about the dent removal... How much to get it done? The wife has about 4 pretty bad door-dings to her credit (poor parking choices). Good thing it's the Honda Pilot though. [drinking]

gpoints said:
More about the dent removal... How much to get it done? The wife has about 4 pretty bad door-dings to her credit (poor parking choices). Good thing it's the Honda Pilot though. [drinking]
Most places charge $75.00-100.00 per dent....but I have noticed a lot of places now are offering $100.00 per panel. So if you have multiple dents/dings/creases on one door, one rear panel, etc..., it is more cost effective. We have been using paintless door dent removal since 1993. It is a life (and nerve) saver :)

deutsch100 said:
Most places charge $75.00-100.00 per dent....but I have noticed a lot of places now are offering $100.00 per panel. So if you have multiple dents/dings/creases on one door, one rear panel, etc..., it is more cost effective. We have been using paintless door dent removal since 1993. It is a life (and nerve) saver :)
Thanks for the info. [cheers]
Unfortunately, I think we've got 4 dents in 3 different panel. [:(]

Big Daddy

I have used Dent Wizard in the past and they did an excellent job.

Regarding the dealer charging over MSRP, if some one is foolsih enough to pay it can you blame them? I am not condoning it, just seems like he if is getting those prices some fool is paying them?

Neil Westfall said:
It is not the residual value of the car that is at fault. The lease rate is what hurts the E90 leasing right now. I belive it is in the .00290 range right now which equates too almost 7% interest.

I am thinking that the rate is tied to risk and the missed residuals in the past, that risk is driving the rate, like the F-150 got slammed in market value and killed Ford with a ton of lease returns were on the market and Ford compensated by rate adjustments to the F-150 for associated risk.

Bryan330i said:
I am thinking that the rate is tied to risk and the missed residuals in the past, that risk is driving the rate, like the F-150 got slammed in market value and killed Ford with a ton of lease returns were on the market and Ford compensated by rate adjustments to the F-150 for associated risk.
I will kindly disagree. I think the rate is tied to the popularity of the car and the newness of the E90. Overall BMW's have done a nice job keeping their residuals in line with real transaction prices. Why give away money through subvented lease rates or inflated residuals if you do not need too? Just my opinion.

Brand-new cars always have high lease rates. It is just a step to maintain a high residual value in the future. The X3 first came out with high lease rates, but now it is very cheap to lease a well-equipped X3 for 3 years/36K miles.

sly

Man, you dudes on the west coast must be desperate to buy M3s. On the east coast they have been heavily discounting M3s for the past two years. You can go to almost any dealer in my area and they'll discount M3s by $2K without any negotiation. You should easily be able to buy a new M3 for 3% over invoice. If the dealer says no way, try someone else.

Yo Adam that sucks about your car... Just goes to show that chicks and cars don't mix hey! [hihi]

But I'm very glad to hear that stunning M3 of yours is now back in the rudest of health. Can you pack it up and send it over to me? [hah]

Chesty Bonds said:
Yo Adam that sucks about your car... Just goes to show that chicks and cars don't mix hey! [hihi]

But I'm very glad to hear that stunning M3 of yours is now back in the rudest of health. Can you pack it up and send it over to me? [hah]
Sure thing Pete. She is all wrapped up, and UPS picked her up this morning. You should receive her in about 3-4 weeks. You confirmation shipping number is WX12567FD876MB72CF [:)]

deutsch100 said:
Sure thing Pete. She is all wrapped up, and UPS picked her up this morning. You should receive her in about 3-4 weeks. You confirmation shipping number is WX12567FD876MB72CF [:)]
lol I will, in return, send you a Ford Pinto as a gesture of my appreciation [hihi]

Just don't get rear-ended!

My car now distates where I go and don't go because of the fear of dents. I only go to stores when they are about to close, and other things like that to avoid the rush hour people and crowded parking lots.

I feel for your situation, but why didn't you check the car first and THEN ask questions. you had the perfect opportunity, the people were STILL THERE. I would have gone ballistic, really.