Dealer ruined my rear 19" M wheel

Here's a point of interest. According to your statement, the manager first siad that the paperwork showed damamge, then he brings in another excuse saying that it has been 1 week and the damage could have happened by you...hmmm. One would assume that the need for a second rationale demonstrates a week argument.

Good luck. I'm sorry to hear about this though; truly breaks my heart.

Sean

Big Daddy

You should also post your story in the "Buyer Seller Feedback" section of our forum here. You could just copy and paste it. Also consider posting your story on dealerrater.com.

Sorry about your rim and I too think the dealer is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Big Daddy said:
You should also post your story in the "Buyer Seller Feedback" section of our forum here. You could just copy and paste it. Also consider posting your story on dealerrater.com.

Sorry about your rim and I too think the dealer is cutting off his nose to spite his face.
Thanks Dan. I posted in our Buyer/Seller Forum. I too think they have made a mistake....but they were very firm, and would not budge.

I guess the $370,000 we spent at Century West BMW doesn't matter, and it was worth losing a customer over 1 fricking rim. Stupid, very stupid. S--t....seeing that 370k was really a shock [:0]

Tom

Staff Team
Saw your other post Adam and I can't believe the dealer would risk loosing a valuable customer over a $200 wheel(which I'm sure they can buy it for less).

I assume you bought the X5 and Z8 from them? What else did you buy that totalled $370k?

Tom said:
Saw your other post Adam and I can't believe the dealer would risk loosing a valuable customer over a $200 wheel(which I'm sure they can buy it for less).

I assume you bought the X5 and Z8 from them? What else did you buy that totalled $370k?
X5 4.4i (65k)
X5 4.8is (75k)
Z8 Alpina (130k)
330cic (50k)
330cic (50k)

so u brought in the invoice paper thingy that says there are no marks on the car...
if it was me thats all they would need....
logically it doesnt make sense for them to look for thier version...
i mean its not like u whited it out lol

sucks it took a week to find it tho

bahnstormer said:
sucks it took a week to find it tho
This is where I'm thinking the problem lies, unfortunately...

They sound like absolute pricks in the US. In Aussie, the dealerships treat you really well, and I've heard that in Britain the level of customer service is also tremendous. It sounds to me as though BMWNA needs to remove the poles from their arses.

It just sucks that this has happened to Adam, who clearly adores his car. It's just not right for a dealer to try to get away with something like this. I hope you don't let up mate, provided that you have the time and energy to deal with these monkeys.

sly

deutsch100 said:
Thanks Dan. I posted in our Buyer/Seller Forum. I too think they have made a mistake....but they were very firm, and would not budge.

I guess the $370,000 we spent at Century West BMW doesn't matter, and it was worth losing a customer over 1 fricking rim. Stupid, very stupid. S--t....seeing that 370k was really a shock [:0]
How did you make out with the dealer? BTW you are talking about no more than a $100 to repair the rim.

I had a problem similar to yours about five years ago. Since then I do the following
for each service visit:
1. I accompany the service writer to my car and have him do a thorough examination of the interior and exterior of the car. I've had the leather damaged by these clowns in the past.
2. Before I pay for the service I thoroughly inspect my car inside and out.
3. If I detect any problems I immediately bring it to the attention of the service writer.

I know that what I do is a pain in the butt, but it has worked well for me.

sly said:
How did you make out with the dealer? BTW you are talking about no more than a $100 to repair the rim.

I had a problem similar to yours about five years ago. Since then I do the following
for each service visit:
1. I accompany the service writer to my car and have him do a thorough examination of the interior and exterior of the car. I've had the leather damaged by these clowns in the past.
2. Before I pay for the service I thoroughly inspect my car inside and out.
3. If I detect any problems I immediately bring it to the attention of the service writer.

I know that what I do is a pain in the butt, but it has worked well for me.

Hi there. Unfortunately....my rim cannot be repaired. It is not a tradt'l. painted alloy wheel, but a machine finished metal. The dealer can grind the damage to perfect smooth, but if they paint it and clear coat it (as most rims are), it will not match my wheel...since the 19in M wheels are machine finished opposed to painted. A new rear wheel (w/o tire) is anywhere from $600-650 depending on the dealer and/or wheel shop. I learned an expensive lesson.

Thanks for the tips!

Adam, what are you going to do? Just pay for a new rim out of your own pocket? I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against the dealership, and contact BMWNA regarding the issue. If you back down, then you are letting it go and taking the blame on yourself. If you be persistant about it, the dealership will eventually cave in....after all, your brand-new car has some serious curb rash on it that was not caused by you at all.

Hey there Emile!

I don't know what I am going to do. Since it did take me a week to notice the curb rash...the dealer is standing firm that they did not do it. If I had even a .5% feeling that I caused the damage, I would just throw in the towel. I know how I keep my car, and have never damaged a wheel in the 15 years I have been driving.

I will be contacting BMWNA (BBB is generally a joke, and waste of time-IMO).

Thanks for responding. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. We have had 100-105F since Friday. It really kills all energy and desire to go out (even to drive our Bimmers :).

Adam, keep is us in the loop. Just be really persistant about it and don't let up We have faith in you! There are wheel repair guys/shops who can fix your rim. Some people you ask will say "Oh we can't restore the factory finish blah blah blah" but Einszett, for example, makes the wheel paint that matches the BMW OEM finish. You can definitely find a good guy to fix it, which will cost up to $300. Can you take a picture of the curb rash?

spta97

That really sucks but the dealership has a point about a week going by. You cannot expect them to know how well you take care of your car and that you were watching it every minute it was parked in a lot.

Having said that they should want to keep your business and should at least offer you some sort of compensation if not pay for the whole rim. Lucky for you the rim can be replaced and it is fixed. It is better than a huge scratch on your paint. I would then put the damaged rim on eBay and see if anyone wants to buy it.

I have had problems in the past so I always walk around my car at the service department before I drive away. Once you leave the lot it is really not their problem. I have discovered scratches in other cars that I've owned but since I left the lot I could not prove 100% that it was the dealer's fault.