Exterior Detail; What I use

ProTour

[hihi] VLAD Thanks for the post on your products and recommendations on the detailing! I received delivery of my 2001 740i on last Friday and went striaght home to wash it with dawn. Next day, I did the "zip-loc" bag test and low and behold it needed claybar. I used a liquid "speed shine" to lubricate the clay. Did the whole car in clay and used a maguires polish after. I bought the dewalt orbiter and it's real nice! I used a yellow pad with the polish to apply and miro-towels to remove. That took my Sat up!

Sun, I dusted the car off with miro & speed shine, then put on the gray\black pad for the mequires non paste carnuba and got one coat on. Wow, the car looks great and no switl marks other than a few very minor deeper scratches that will need spot attention.

All in all I feel very good about the job and look forward to putting more wax on in the future weeks.

Again VLAD and posters, thanks for your input on this subject!

ProTour

MicroFibre Question

I have learned a few things or some of them observed with micro-fibre towels, which my daughters says I am obsessed by the quanity and the multiple storage areas of them around the house [unsure]

First, like it is said about claybar, if you drop it on the ground i.e. cement driveway, get rid of it as the fibre towel is like a magnet for minute particles and will scratch.

Second, some definately are less quality and have some lint particulate, but they don't seem to be capable of scratching that I can tell? [scratch]

The better quality towels from my experience have a 80% Ployester and 20% polyamide and the less quality ones have a 70\20 ratio respectively. Does anyone know more about what blend is the better one to spot in the miriade of selection these days? [scratch]

Thanks

Have you used F21 wax?

Thanks for the guide...One question, have any of you used F21 wax from turtlewax, I hear its good stuff. Any idea?

F21 wax

Any of you tried F21 wax? I use it and it works just the same as all others, but its cheaper to buy. I think it has to do a lot with the paint you have. If you really take care of your paint, don't matter what you use. Just my opinion.

Big Daddy

dboy11 said:
I've been detailing cars as a part time business for the last 30 plus years....some of what I read in that PDF file was true, but some of it was bull crap!
Wel thanks for your 02 cents on that! I have not used this guide 100%, but I thought it was great that Vlad would go through the trouble to present us with it. I am sure that we can say some of what every "detail person" submits as his or her guide is pure BS, including your?

Big Daddy said:
Wel thanks for your 02 cents on that! I have not used this guide 100%, but I thought it was great that Vlad would go through the trouble to present us with it. I am sure that we can say some of what every "detail person" submits as his or her guide is pure BS, including your?
Maybe bull crap was a bit harsh....it wasn't mean to be.....The guide line draws out a good time line to clean and protect and was really nice of him to take the time to post...again no harm was intented by me

Big Daddy said:
Thanks for clearing this up I accept your apology. From your experience what are some detailing tips?
That's a real hard question to answer....is there an area that you are having a problem with cleaning?

Detailing a car from start to finish requires a certain process that one should follow so as not to create re-work and wasting time...

I have used Zaino on 2 Cobra replicas that had { 1 red, 1 titanium} and now have used it on my z3 { black}. It does a unbelievable job of making the paint look deep. I used to use Meguiars products only, until I found Zaino.
Still like Meguiars, just like Zaino better.