Hands on with the new E90 330i

Follow up to my I saw the new E90 today!!

About an hour ago, when I picked up the Z8 from getting serviced...our dealership had several E90s on display, and for sale.

Good news first (I am trying to be positive E90 lovers):

-the 330i I sat in today, and played with all the buttons and controls looks soooo much better than the 325i that I saw on the weekend. Todays 330i was Sparkling Graphite with full black Dakota leather, Cold, sports and premium packages. The leather felt nice, and some of the controls, buttons and knobs felt ok. The burl walnut really helps the car a lot, and adds some warmth and BMW class among the sterile and flat dash layout. The E90 needs that wood.

-the interior looks much better without the Navigation System and I Drive controller. The doors felt more substantial and closed with a better "BMW thunk" than the new 5er.

- from the front, the car looks it's best. It is almost attractive...ok, it is attractive :)

The not so good:

-The rear of the car, being completely honest, looks cheap and very un German, and the side view is pretty bad. The flat panels look cheap, boring and one can just imagine the 20+ door dings that the panels are just begging for.

- many of the controls and yes, the interior door pulls fell very cost cutted.

All in all, I have to say, if one is considering the new E90....try and get the 330i, or fully load the 325i.

Promising? Maybe...the faintest hint of just maybe. I think it's success heavily depends on reliability, no recalls and electronic free gremlins

I can appreciate your opinion if you don't like the new 3-Series, but I think we both know it will definitely sell. At the very least, it has the BMW roundel on the hood, and for that it will sell.

i hope to sit in and test drive one by next week.

who knows, maybe i'll fall in love and trade in my zhp! FAT CHANCE! i say, but you never know [;)] Adam, i'm glad you have a more positive opinion of the car. i figure for most of you, once you get over the initial WTH??? [?!] you might end up liking the car.

i just can't wait for the e90 m to show up!

Average Jae said:
i hope to sit in and test drive one by next week.

who knows, maybe i'll fall in love and trade in my zhp! FAT CHANCE! i say, but you never know [;)] Adam, i'm glad you have a more positive opinion of the car. i figure for most of you, once you get over the initial WTH??? [?!] you might end up liking the car.

i just can't wait for the e90 m to show up!
No Jason, we are not excited to have the NEW E90 M show up [bigcry] That makes the E46 M become the OLD M.

Opinion is still that the car is a definite stepback in design and layout. Besides from too many electronic systems that kill driver feel and enjoyment, I NEVER doubt BMW in terms of engines, transmissions and safety features. I love BMW!!

But, yes...to avoid being continually blasted by all you E90 freaks, I sat in the car and tinkered with all the buttons, controls and materials with an open mind!!!

deutsch100 said:
The not so good:

-The rear of the car, being completely honest, looks cheap and very un German, and the side view is pretty bad. The flat panels look cheap, boring and one can just imagine the 20+ door dings that the panels are just begging for.

After looking at the car in person a few times, I do think they could have done a better job on the design of the back.

deutsch100 said:
Seems like flat high side panels are used in all new BMWs, I think they totally suck. Besides not looking good, they are not comfortable for the driver, door panel should be just high enough to keep your elbow on it comfortably, not higher.
Anyway, I think I'm going to dealship this weekend to take E90 on twisty road so stay tuned. I know one BMW dealership where they just give you the keys and let you drive the car alone, and there is nice mountain road close by, it's just perpect place to try a car. I'm going to abuse a sucker a little and see how it handles it ;)

How do you guys like the 5-Series rear end in comparison to the E90? I enjoy being behind the new 5ers, they have such a nice ass. I hope I like the new E90's rear end in person.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I have to admit I like the NEW 5-series now, but not like the older model... I think that X-drive and the new 215hp, 255hp, 500hp engines will give the 5er new life.

I just don't like the interior...

MrElussive said:
How do you guys like the 5-Series rear end in comparison to the E90? I enjoy being behind the new 5ers, they have such a nice ass. I hope I like the new E90's rear end in person.
The new 5er rear end looks so much better than the E90. The E90 looks odd with the taillight design. I used to like the new 5er headlights, and dislike the rear...over the past 4-5 months....I think the 5 Series looks absolutely hot from it's ass shot, and I think the 5er headlights would look better on a Camry or Lexus ES300.

BMW should take the 5er taillight design, make it smaller and implement it on the E90. That would be hot!!

The 5 series is just absolutely stunning now, compared to the other cars in its class.
It just has this unique stance about it, and it commands respect.
I have to agree, the rear-end of the 5 series is REALLY kick-ass, and so is the front! :)

I have yet to see ANY new 3 series on the streets so I can't offer any insight on those.
But I know that in time, they'll start looking hot too!

Yeah, I think the only problem with the new 5er is that the headlights are just a bit too exaggarated. They need to relax with the headlights stretched soooo far back.

William330

To compare how the 3-series has evolved, check out this link:

http://www.bmwtransact.com/microsite/new3/maincontent.html

Click "Heritage."

Then scroll to the bottom of the page (if you have a small monitor) and
click the past years.

I notice with the "1999-2005" years, they used the plain-jane 330xi (?) front,
which does not have the awesome silver grill under the bumper, but is
instead smooth featureless plastic/rubber.

Check out how the front fenders used to look shapely and awesome as they
surrounded the front tires, and now look bloated and nonexistent.

It's interesting to see them side-by-side.

MrElussive said:
Yeah, I think the only problem with the new 5er is that the headlights are just a bit too exaggarated. They need to relax with the headlights stretched soooo far back.
i think the agressiveness of the design was finally matched by the performance of the m5, and now there's a balance in the 5er.

Jay I completely agree. I think BMW needs to make the X3 and the 5-Series more aggressive. I like both vehicles a lot but I don't think I would ever want to own one just because they look too feminin for my taste.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I don't think the 330i zhp can get up to 155 and if it does it's probably 149 due to the speedometer offset in the 3-series cars. To actually be doing 155 the car needs to have the needle at around 160 which would be off the dial...

i always thought that the top speed limit ending in a nice number like 155, or 149, which corresponds quite nicely with the tire speed rating, is for safety issues. if your car has H rated tires on, (130mph) but the car can attain speeds of 150+, you would have to limit it for safety reasons, don't you think? [;)] i think two words describe why well: LAW SUITS!

anyway, when you see a car w/ a top speed rating of 130mph, check the tires. i'll bet you anything that the car's factory tires are rated H. that's the reason why when you get a non sports package car vs the sports package car, the top speed goes up by 20mph or more. even if the engine specs stay the same.. the speed limiters are in place to stop you from having a blown tire at the high speed, which is pretty fatal, i'd imagine. saving both your ass and the manufac's

Last edited: