Hands on with the new E90 330i

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
loganhunter2002 said:
My speedometer has the max set at 240 MPH. I am sure the ZHP can do 155. I saw it on the forum here about the ZHP.
That would be 240kph, and 155mph is the last dash on the speedometer. EVERYONE knows BMW offsets the speedometer so that it's a few mph faster than you're really going... Thereby it would be off the dial, not to mention that 235hp must CRAWL (meaning you'd need to track it to attain the top speed) to 155 with all that drag in a 3500lb car (including a reasonably sized driver)...

ok, I went to the dealer today and drove 330i manual on the twisty mountain road and also on the highway. As many noted already, interior looks a bit cheap, especially low-grade plastic in it, it feels awkward too. The driver's position seems higher than E46, also the car feels larger overall. Now about driving: the car is easy to drive fast and holds road very well but overall driving experience is muted. Road feel, steering wheel feedback, engine sound are all muted if you compare to E46. Pedals are much lighter than on my E36, took some time to get used too. Long story short: the car is capable but not as fun to drive as older models IMO, I didn't feel the same level of connection with road as in my E36 or in E46 models I drove.

bmw555, cool review dude. I bet BMW got rid of the vibrations in the steering wheel for the E90 models. It is good feedback for those of us who really like to drive and know what is going on with the road, but for everyone else it just gives them pains in their hands at the end of the day.

MrElussive said:
bmw555, cool review dude. I bet BMW got rid of the vibrations in the steering wheel for the E90 models. It is good feedback for those of us who really like to drive and know what is going on with the road, but for everyone else it just gives them pains in their hands at the end of the day.
yep, driving is not that involving in E90, although the car is very fast and holds road very well even on wet road (it was raining a bit today) I felt disconnected from the road itself. I tortured the sucker well driving aroud like crazy but I didn't feel much excitement from it

bmw555, did it have active steering? i wonder if that also made it more disconnected.

its a bummer that the car feels less connected.. man, i really need to make some time for a test drive!

Average Jae said:
bmw555, did it have active steering? i wonder if that also made it more disconnected.

its a bummer that the car feels less connected.. man, i really need to make some time for a test drive!
I have no idea :) They have 5 E90 on the lot, all 330i and only one of them with 6sp. I just took the keys and drove it without looking in car specification.

deutsch100 said:
No Jason, we are not excited to have the NEW E90 M show up [bigcry] That makes the E46 M become the OLD M.
haha Adam, i forgot to reply to this earlier.. but dun worry, e46 is still kick ass in my book! and you'll still be the only m3 sporting the interlagos! (i hope anyway..)

i love the front of the e46 M so much, i just want to rip off my psudo M3 face and replace it! alas, i don't think it'll work for a sedan...

I was at the BMW dealership today with my dad and uncle to pickup my uncle's 745 from service. I was wandering around the showroom and my dad came with me and they had the X5 4.8is in LeMans Blue and holy shit that thing is amazing. They also had a red M3 which was also nothing short of amazing.

Most importantly, they had the new 3-Series there and I checked it out. It was okay, nothing jaw-dropping the way the E46 3-Series was when it first came out, but it definitely looks really nice, inside and out.

There was a white Z4 sitting at the showroom and my dad really liked it. I asked him to buy it for me for my birthday, but naturally that didn't fly. [:p]

Dukat

MrElussive said:
I test drove the 330i 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The last car had a major vibration in the steering wheel while driving on perfectly flat road. The dealer said the time was probably alittle flat and the car needs to warm up. I want to buy this car but reliability has me very concerned... the fact that they are offering test drives on a 3 week old car that has a major vibration doesn't inspire confidence.

I've been speaking to many 1998-2004 3-series owners and all but 1 said they have had many issues ranging from constant check engine lights, misc parts breaking, sunroof not opening, vibrations in steering, assorted lights burning out, etc. I would use up the 50,000 warranty in 2 years, the expensive $3000(Fullcoverage) 6year/100,000 mile warranty would probably cover me for 4-5 years. $44,000 (with tax) is alot to pay for a car that seems to keep breaking when I can get a car for half that price and will run with no problems for twice as long.

What experience has everyone here had with their cars? Is the fact that everyone I've spoken to has had many problems just a statistical deviation? Are the e90's supposed to be more reliable? Audi has stated that they put a major initiative into effect to make their cars more reliable. Has BMW done anything similar?

I really want this car but can't deal with that amount of problems, nor afford them once the warranty period expires.

Comments? Opinion? Thanks!

.... forgot to say... the other 2 cars.. with the non-vibrating steering drove amazing. Pleasure to drive. I also test drove the new Audi a4 3.2 extremely aggressively and it handled superbly too. Difficult choosing between the 2. I like the exterior look of the 330 far more and the interior feels more solid. The a4 had more of a ralley car feel which is good and bad.. but it was fun to drive.

Last edited: