Harness mount points?

notice the word after schroth...."Racing". If you want to do this, have someone do it that know what they're doing... look up some racing shops in your area and they will do it properly for you.

nope haven't bought anything yet. How do you figure installing a harness using factory mount points compromise design parameters? i would assume factory seat belt anchors would be the strongest.
I do plan on doing some auto cross.

my only thought would be that if the thing came with a 3 point belt as delivered where would the 4th mounting point be? seems as though maybe you would have to create the 4th point and that may not be as sound as it may appear...maybe not...i could be wrong on this of course....good luck whichever way it goes.....

nope haven't bought anything yet. How do you figure installing a harness using factory mount points compromise design parameters? i would assume factory seat belt anchors would be the strongest.
I do plan on doing some auto cross.

Big Daddy

I believe my feedback was constructive, I suggested that you not use the spot welded points for mounts, constructive and correct. And I listed references to sites where the use of the three and four point systems were discussed. Sorry if you thought that was not constructive!

What about having a bar welded in below the parcel tray (ie in the boot) and bolt through the tray into the bar.

You could then reinforce the bar down to the strut towers and in effect create a rear strut bar increasing chassis rigidigty, reducing the cars tendency to oversteer and add a little strength.

i take it back big daddy you had some constructive feedback.

echotheezero that strut bar thing is a great idea, i'm going to look into that

btw - a front strut tower reinforincing bar is an excellent move...have one the 325ic.....makes a tremendous difference in cowl and lateral shake...unbelievable

Back in the '80s there was a family in my area - 2 adults with 2 small kids - that drove around in a '70s vintage VW Kammback (rear engine station wagon/touring) and all four of them wore motorcycle helmets.
[headbang]That's awesome! I wonder what planet they were from?![headbang]

I'd wear a helmet.... if I were in a Super7 with a four point harness, but it wouldn't matter, 'cause I'd still kill myself... in an E30 I probably wouldn't wear a helmet 'cause they're so slow, so I probabmy wouldn't need a four point harness. either.

Graham, I don't mean to post this as a good example, but I'm assuming that your GF wasn't wearing a 4point for her accident, but do you think a 4point harness would have helped her? (not to say it would be worse). How is she anyways, and is she enjoying her MR2?

Chris, check this out;
http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27143
I hope you don't get a false sense of security when you get this seat belt installed. The car is still going to fun as hell to drive, but they can bite you in the ass any time they feel like it. You could still find yourself in a situation where a four point harness, or an airbag, or a helmet won't matter one bit. Like this (bad taste?)

haha finally someone with some constructive feedback, thanks Kirby
I think that with any constructive feedback, you should also pay attention to the the critisism. All point either for or against the 4 point harness have been valid, but none of the negatives seem to make any difference. ...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You may be able to get the horse to jump through a Kia, but that would be in bad taste.