I got my new M3.....again!!!

aaron

Cross hatching is X pattern scratched in the cylinder walls.
Its purpose is to aid in ring seating, and sealing.

It is created by a cylinder hone in the engine building process, and acts as an abrasive to file down the rings. The rings and cross hatching eat at each other until the cross hatching wears down and becomes ineffective.

After the engine is broken in and the pistons are removed you can still see the light cross hatching in the cylinders. It however is only a few microns in depth.
I have seen very light cross hatching in just about every modern engine I have disassembled, some with up to 170k miles.

aaron

Yeah, there we go, aaron explained it best. A lot of hard-core mechanics say that during the break-in period, you should drive like a maniac, but I don't believe in that. My personal way of breaking in an engine is to make sure to vary the rpm's and drive it the way you normally drive it, as long as it's not abuse. Meaning, you can take it to the higher rpm's, but it's still a new engine so you don't want to go to redline in wide-open throttle and then drop the clutch in the next gear, and wind up the engine again, etc. The gears are still new and they need a bit of breaking in as well. [:D]