My 2007 X5 hates me. Shoulda avoided first model year!

Arghhhh! I am so annoyed, and know that I can (usually:) vent on our Board. My new 2007 X5 3.0si, with about 700 miles, is in for Service for the 6th time. Today, as I started it up, I was greeted with many red warning lights & illustrations on the i-Drive screen and the instrument cluster, warning me that my SRS Airbag system had faulted, and the seat belt pre-tensioners had also faulted. Last week it was the headlight assembly failing, Time and Date erasing (again!!) from the i-Drive screen and instrument cluster and memory for SAT radio and radio erasing. Before that it was the X drive (4x4) system failed, and the car wouldn't start. The entire vehicle was dead, and I had to climb out the back tailgate using the emergency release handle. Thankfully, I'm not a complete car idiot, and was able to manually disengage the E-brake, and use the provided tool, and remove the car from Park (Roadside couldn't get it out of the garage, and they didn't now how to do it...Nice!!). Also, it's been in for BMW Assist not operating, Satellite radio not installing, jerky transmission in Reverse and other i-drive related failures.

How can something look so good, drive so good, be such a nightmare?? So annoyed, disappointed, pissed, irritated, mad and deflated!!!

CosmosBlack

I think German engineering, superb as it is, still needs to learn a lot in electronics from the Japanese. They should let the Japs build their electronics parts...

CosmosBlack said:
I think German engineering, superb as it is, still needs to learn a lot in electronics from the Japanese. They should let the Japs build their electronics parts...
:) For years I've said if BMW had all Lexus/Toyota electronics...it'd be the best, most dependable car in the world!!

Abdoman said:
Do I hear lemon law? - don't get stuck with it. Even Lexus has to buy back some cars.

I've written to BMWNA, and our dealership, and told them that I am no longer willing to deal with the bugs, and issues with this car. It's a beautiul car, and it performs and handles amazing!!, but with the baby and family, I just can't be dealing with all this crap! I don't even want another one, at this point, since I don't think BMW can guarantee that a new X5 will be any better!

Since 2004, we have purchased 9 new BMWs, so I'm really hoping that BMW, and the dealer will exert some good faith/will, and buy this car back. It pains me to have to be dealing with this! In my wildest dreams, I never expected an X5 to have these issues (on an ironic note, the 750Li has been Perfect!! Not one issue, hiccup, i-Drive bug, etc.. Nothing) Go figure!! I guess 4 years of 7 Series nightmares, has resulted in de-bugging the 7 Series. Sucks that in less than 1.5 years, buyers are going to have to deal with a new 7 Series, and new i-Drive surprises [}:)]

The dealership just called me, and the car lost voltage/voltage dipped, and this was the reason that the SRS airbag light/warning displayed & the Restraint System/Pre-Tensioner faulted.

Unknow cause of voltage dip, and there is also a BMW recall for something in the backseat (the part is backordered, and will cause me to bring the car in AGAIN for service).

No more. I refused to pick the car up from Service. They don't know why the voltage dipped, yet they want me to take the car home! Last time the voltage dipped, my son and I were inside the car locked, and we could not open the doors. I had to crawl from the front seat, over the back seat, into the rear compartment, pop the emergency latch and crawl out the back window with my newborn baby.

DONE. I will not pick this car up. Beyond frustrated and pissed!

I hope it works out. I had a friend that had multiple problems with an 2002 745 and the dealer wouldn't work with him so he had two huge magnetic signs made that said not to buy any lemons from the dealer. After he did that, the dealer bought it back!

tazza0712 said:
Sorry to hear that Adam. Not really surprised by it, but that just isn't good enough. Let us know what happens with the dealership, hope they buy it back from you.
Thanks Adrian. I'm actually surprised. When I think of "lemony" BMWs, I think of the new 5er, and the 2003-2006 7 Series. After having 2 flawless E53s (2004 X5s), I never, in my wildest dreams thought my new X5 would turn out so bad. What's so upsetting, is that I love the looks, feel and handling. After so many dealer visits though, the appeal of the car fades quickly. We've been outstanding, repeat BMW buyers, but with so many of their new models having problems, a first time BMW buyer, might be turned away for life (or many, many years).

I just keep hoping that BMW really considers how much $ we've spent with them since 2004. It would be a shame, if they refused to buy my car back. I would then for sure, NEVER buy another BMW. It's a matter of principle and honour!!

Are you now wishing you kept the Audi?

I'd be interested to know how the dealer handles this situation. Business logic would suggest that they would give you a new x5 or work with you. 9 BMWs in 3/4 years; um, yeah, I would hate to piss of that customer.

Is that common for this dealership? One client purchasing 9 BMWs in 3/4 years? I know the BMW dealerships in MD would not let that customer go b/c that isn't the norm, but you are in California, so the norms might be different.

selavia said:
Are you now wishing you kept the Audi?

I'd be interested to know how the dealer handles this situation. Business logic would suggest that they would give you a new x5 or work with you. 9 BMWs in 3/4 years; um, yeah, I would hate to piss of that customer.

Is that common for this dealership? One client purchasing 9 BMWs in 3/4 years? I know the BMW dealerships in MD would not let that customer go b/c that isn't the norm, but you are in California, so the norms might be different.
Hey Sean,

Not missing the Audi, in regards to being a sedan, but of course missing the 6 months of flawless reliability. The only reason I sold the Audi, is that we wanted another suv (just easier with the family, for outings and road trips).

I am very curious, in how our dealership, and BMWNA will handle this too. Our salesman, and finance manager, said we are one of their best customers, but being so close to Warner Bros and NBC, they get a lot of high volume buyers. Regardless, I would like to think that they will take my car back, being that we have purchased so many BMWs from them, and we do all our service there.

The Service Manager said he has spoken with the dealership owner, and that they are waiting to see what BMWNA wants to do. I was really hoping that the dealership would just handle this, as BMWNA is going to want to send factory reps, and master mechanics out to "fix the car". I have no doubt, that they can "fix" what is wrong right now, but the car has just shown too many, frequent problems, and I have no confidence in the vehicle. I do not want it anymore. If the dealer refuses to help, I have no qualms about standing outside with large, colourful posterboards, and tell potential buyers what I am dealing with. I think a few busy weekends of me talking to test drivers, and buyers, might make the dealership reconsider. I really don't want to do this, as it's not my nature, but I have to look out for me, my family and our finances!

I think you may find it more useful meeting with the manager or owner than waging such a 'colorful' display. I think a gentle reminder that they would not want to loose your business may shove them in the right direction. Also, I think they would be much more inclined to trade you another car/X5 rather than buy back the X5. If you tell them exactly where you stand, I really don't see it to be in their best interest to pitch a fit; and chances are these are not unsophisticated business people; they are going to recognize the implications. BMW (and most luxury brands) sell primarily on reputation.

Also, if the BMWNA rep fixes the problem, tell them great. But see if they will sign an agreement which states, if there are any further problems they will buy back the car (or do something which is amenable to you). I find that 'reasonable' people stay reasonable when s/he is given an option. But when forced with an ultimatum or something sounding like a threat, s/he may loose the 'reasonableness' of his/her character and you may end up in a game of chicken.

I've lost my head and not kept this in mind on several occasions, and upon retrospect, I know I could have gotten my way if I was more willing to give a choice rather than insist.
You seem like a reasonable guy, so I'm sure all these words are irrelevant, but help is usually a good thing.

Good luck Adam!

Sean

selavia is right - I've actually returned two cars. Talk to your lawyer and let the dealership know you've done it. Dealerships don't want to "buy back" a lemon. Both times I told the dealership that they could either give me my car back (the one I traded in) or they could replace the car with a new one. Both times the dealership worked with me on replacing the car.