My 2007 X5 hates me. Shoulda avoided first model year!

selavia said:
I think you may find it more useful meeting with the manager or owner than waging such a 'colorful' display. I think a gentle reminder that they would not want to loose your business may shove them in the right direction. Also, I think they would be much more inclined to trade you another car/X5 rather than buy back the X5. If you tell them exactly where you stand, I really don't see it to be in their best interest to pitch a fit; and chances are these are not unsophisticated business people; they are going to recognize the implications. BMW (and most luxury brands) sell primarily on reputation.

Also, if the BMWNA rep fixes the problem, tell them great. But see if they will sign an agreement which states, if there are any further problems they will buy back the car (or do something which is amenable to you). I find that 'reasonable' people stay reasonable when s/he is given an option. But when forced with an ultimatum or something sounding like a threat, s/he may loose the 'reasonableness' of his/her character and you may end up in a game of chicken.

I've lost my head and not kept this in mind on several occasions, and upon retrospect, I know I could have gotten my way if I was more willing to give a choice rather than insist.
You seem like a reasonable guy, so I'm sure all these words are irrelevant, but help is usually a good thing.

Good luck Adam!

Sean
Hey again Sean,

Your words are not at all irrelevant, and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, and care about my X5 problems. I am also, or I try, to always be reasonable, calm and fair. I generally really dislike confrontation. I do not want to threaten, or make the dealership mad at all. Like my Gramma says: "You catch bees with honey, not vinegar" :) I really hope they buy it back, and not try and offer another X5. Reading about so many problems new X5 owners are having, I don't feel at all confident, that another X5 will be any better. So far, the X5 is very reminiscent of the 2003+ 7 Series...not just ready for the public.

Big Daddy said:
Good point, because if they buy it back under a lemon law they have to disclose that to future potential buyers. If they trade you it is just another transaction!
EXACTLY, what I told the S.Manager, and our salesman. It's going to be so much easier for them to sell my "traded in, new X5", rather than one that went thru official CA Lemon Law proceedings (and yes, by CA law, it must be disclosed, on the paperwork, and displayed on the windshield..

Tom

Staff Team
Man that's terrrible Adam. I agree they should do the right thing and just buy it back. And this is another reason why I'm staying away from first year purchase all together.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
Don't get iDrive, Don't get iDrive, Don't get iDrive. The Less the electronics the better doesn't matter WHAT brand it is.

It seems like BMW has problems when the X5 comes out remember the last one, people that lived in the snow belt opted for the Sport Package and BMW failed to tell them that the tires weren't really designed for snow. :)

jgreene32

X5 concerns

Really sorry to hear about your troubles with your new X5.

I'm about 3 weeks away from taking delivery on a new '07 4.8 X5, so needless to say your problems scare the crap out of me.

Interestingly, my dealer today told me that some 4.8 X5's are actually being built in Germany or Austria.

I find this really hard to believe, as I thought ALL X5's, X3's and Z3's (non-M) were built in South Carolina.

Has anyone heard differently??

Adam, hope your issues with the X get sorted out and it becomes a viable ride. I highly doubt you keep it that long to find out though. Good luck with sorting out the issues and I hope you can find solace either with it or another vehicle soon....

jgreene32 said:
Really sorry to hear about your troubles with your new X5.

I'm about 3 weeks away from taking delivery on a new '07 4.8 X5, so needless to say your problems scare the crap out of me.

Interestingly, my dealer today told me that some 4.8 X5's are actually being built in Germany or Austria.

I find this really hard to believe, as I thought ALL X5's, X3's and Z3's (non-M) were built in South Carolina.

Has anyone heard differently??
Good Luck!!

Adam, it really sucks to hear that you are having all those problems, and hope for the best. others befor me have dispensed enough good advice, so i'll stay quiet on that front.

oh and Kenny, Cayenne's a sweet ride, i'd spring for one, only if porsche actually decides to get rid of that bland ugliness in the back. (i was hoping for an ass-lift? with the redesign, but i guess i'll keep hoping ^^;

CosmosBlack

Average Jae said:
oh and Kenny, Cayenne's a sweet ride, i'd spring for one, only if porsche actually decides to get rid of that bland ugliness in the back. (i was hoping for an ass-lift? with the redesign, but i guess i'll keep hoping ^^;
You're right, the rear can be ugly to most people. Even the front took me a while to accept.

but not as bad as the old M class. what was that a mini-van suv crossover?

anyway, sorry to mini jack the thread. Adam, keep us posted, i'm hoping for good news man.

Average Jae said:
but not as bad as the old M class. what was that a mini-van suv crossover?

anyway, sorry to mini jack the thread. Adam, keep us posted, i'm hoping for good news man.
Thanks Jason. So far so good. BMWNA and the dealer are being über-helpful, friendly and supportive. Will keep you all posted. Almost done!!!