Picked up my X3 2.5 today!!

hey ralphv
Congrats on your new wheels
I have an X5 3.0 and I'm SERIOUSLY considering
the switch to the X3 given the excellent reviews
Did you compare the X3 to the X5 in your evakuations?
just curious

Ralphw

moliver2k9,

I did consider the X5 briefly, but the X3 fit my lifestyle better. Better gas mileage, more room in the garage. and better on-road handling were just some of the reasons I went with the X3.

rory

Hey Ralph,

I've got the same color both inside and out except mine's a 3.0i. Just wondering, do you find the 2.5 to have enough torque?

Ralphw

rory,

For my driving style...you bet. I'm not racing (OK maybe a little in my own mind), but I find that the acceleration is just fine. It may even be a bit better than my 325 was in the low end of the range. I just went over 1400 miles and as it's loosened up, it has improved noticeably as has the mileage (I'm averaging 22.1 up from 20.1 when brand new).

trapper

Just picked up my silver grey matallic 2.5 x3 on Saturday. It does not drive as well as the ones i test drove. I called the dealership and they said to check tire pressure. added air to front tires. still a very bumpy, jostled ride! any thoughts? current x3ers?

rory

Yeah I find the ride pretty jumpy and stiff too but at the same time it's very good for cornering without much roll. I wonder what the sport suspension is like with the sport package, anyone get that?

rory

Ralphw said:
rory,

For my driving style...you bet. I'm not racing (OK maybe a little in my own mind), but I find that the acceleration is just fine. It may even be a bit better than my 325 was in the low end of the range. I just went over 1400 miles and as it's loosened up, it has improved noticeably as has the mileage (I'm averaging 22.1 up from 20.1 when brand new).
Well, I can't exactly say you can race with my 3.0i, but when I have a full load in my car or 4 passengers, the 3.0 seems to pull just as if there were only the driver in the car. I've had the opportunity to drive a 325xi with and without a full load of passengers and I found that there was a significant difference with the weaker torque.

What about the X-Drive? How are you finding that? How is it compared with the 325/330xi without the X-Drive? I haven't had much opportunity to really try it out as I'm still running my car in.

mybluex3

I think the X3 with sport package is not out yet.. I ordered one and the build day is Feb 6 but I still wait.. my dealer told me that they will waiting for the sports seat to install.

rory

Just wondering, for those of you who have gotten their X3 already, did it come with the flashlight in the glovebox? Cause mine didn't! and it says on the website it should!

Ralphw

did it come with the flashlight in the glovebox?
Nope, no flashlight and if you're looking for a three spoke wheel in the premium pkg...don't...it's a four spoke (web site say otherwise). As for the bouncey ride, the only time I've noticed it was on one particular road where the bumps were spaced such that the car sets up an oscillation...sort of a front to back bucking motion. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it was only on that road at a speed that let the bumps happen exactly right. I've been on a washboard surface dirt road and it was fine....rough yes, but otherwise fine.

My X3 2.5 (no Sports Package) drives great. When I picked it up from the dealer the tires were over inflated. This caused a very harsh ride. After lowering the tire pressure to the correct setting (on the door frame) the ride improved greatly.

I would take the domo out for a comparison spin, and if the ride on your X3 is not as good as the demo, have the dealer look into it.

No flashlight in glove box. 4 spoke wheel.

I've noticed the options we get here in Canada for the X3 are quite different from the US. Do all the X3s in the US come with xenons or is it an option? And I think what you guys get in the premium package is also different. Interesting.

MJM

I have taken delivery of an X3 3.0i with the Sport Package. With tire pressure set correctly I do not find the ride too harsh or "jumpy". The handling is great and more flat on cornering that the non-Sport Package X3 due to the larger diameter anti-roll bars. The Sport Seats a very nice and provide excellent support. I am very happy with the Sport Package.

MJM

rexdiamond said:
My adaptive zenons were an option, but well worth it!
I have the adaptive xenon option too, but without the option here in Canada, we would still get the regular xenons with auto tilt up and down as standard equipment.

rory said:
I've noticed the options we get here in Canada for the X3 are quite different from the US. Do all the X3s in the US come with xenons or is it an option? And I think what you guys get in the premium package is also different. Interesting.
Right. We can't even get the optional wood trim. I was at the dealership today putting the summer tires on my X5, and I checked out the X3 for the first time...I like it but it is much less luxurious than the X5 and seems less solid (i.e., the doors seem really light weight and the interior door handles seem really flimsy). I'm sure the X3 is a great vehicle, but I was hoping it would be as luxurious as the X5, only smaller. [???1]

rory said:
Right. We can't even get the optional wood trim. I was at the dealership today putting the summer tires on my X5, and I checked out the X3 for the first time...I like it but it is much less luxurious than the X5 and seems less solid (i.e., the doors seem really light weight and the interior door handles seem really flimsy). I'm sure the X3 is a great vehicle, but I was hoping it would be as luxurious as the X5, only smaller. [???1]