Question for mods or anyone who might know???

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
E36M3 said:
how can you tell that its fake?

yay i was hoping someone would ask.

look at all the pics on his website like above. the m3 badge looks slightly wrong but thats not it. i don't know about the states(but i seriously doubt it) but there has never been a full auto E36 and even if they did i do know ALL M cars have an oil temp guage rather than the MPG guage under the speedo in E30 and E36. [fake]

mikev said:
yay i was hoping someone would ask.

look at all the pics on his website like above. the m3 badge looks slightly wrong but thats not it. i don't know about the states(but i seriously doubt it) but there has never been a full auto E36 and even if they did i do know ALL M cars have an oil temp guage rather than the MPG guage under the speedo in E30 and E36. [fake]
The US E36 M3 did come in automatic, even 'full auto' (which I assume means no steptronic). You are probably right about the oil temp guage vs. the 'econometer'.

The badge was poorly applied to the rear.

I wish I could have seen more pics of the interior, as that would have helped identify the car as a real M3 or not. Only way to know for sure is to run the VIN.

mikev

E36M3 said:
mine is a real M and it does have the "econometer"
Well like i said my knowledge is from EURO M cars only the enonometer WAS taken out of all M cars for the oil temp. don't know why the us one wouldn't have as its a vital part of knowing about your engine. it still has it on the OBC but under the speedometer it was taken off.

mikev said:
Well like i said my knowledge is from EURO M cars only the enonometer WAS taken out of all M cars for the oil temp. don't know why the us one wouldn't have as its a vital part of knowing about your engine. it still has it on the OBC but under the speedometer it was taken off.
I would much rather have oil pressure than oil temp. Oil temp doesn't tell you all that much. You lose oil pressure, you have a problem.

mikev

brahtw8 said:
I would much rather have oil pressure than oil temp. Oil temp doesn't tell you all that much. You lose oil pressure, you have a problem.
Oil temp is there because if you rev a big motor like those when its cold it'll pop after a short time. so its sorta used to make sure the engine is kept in good health also if oil temp rises it lets you know and can turn of the engine and save it. oil presure guages on a car like that is not important most guys don't pay attention to oil temp let along know whats good bad or leathel besides if oil pressure drops you Fcuked anyway.

it just the way it is.

mikev said:
Oil temp is there because if you rev a big motor like those when its cold it'll pop after a short time. so its sorta used to make sure the engine is kept in good health also if oil temp rises it lets you know and can turn of the engine and save it. oil presure guages on a car like that is not important most guys don't pay attention to oil temp let along know whats good bad or leathel besides if oil pressure drops you Fcuked anyway.

it just the way it is.
Isn't water temp more important than oil temp? In terms of warming the car up for spirited revving, isn't water the one you want to watch? Does anybody know what the M3/M5 progressive rev limiter LEDS on the tach are keyed off of? (Yellow and Red lights that create a lower 'red zone' around the tach. for those who don't know.) I thought it was water temp.

I am not saying I don't want an oil temp guage, just if I had to choose I would take pressure over temp (like the NSX has). My friend with the Audi S4 has oil temp, but no oil pressure, and wishes it was the other way around.

The car is a Real M3, I switched out the logo on the back with an up to date logo and did all the mods on it. The Vin number says it is a real M3 1998 Luxuray sedan 4 door automatic with the Manual Sport and Economy mode. All i asked if you could by eyelids that are not as wide from top to bottom and where i can get them from and who makes them b/c these rieger ones i have now are too wide.

billy

M3Aidan

I can't tell if this things real or not, so I'm not gonna flame it! ...especially with all the exterior body panels- how can you tell? But back to your original question; I think the eye lids set a little low over the angel eyes. However, it did look pretty sweet at night. Your car, your call bro!

The VIN number doesn't lie. I had all the exterior and interior mods done to it myself so trust me its a real M3. You can tell its a real M3 by the vin number, the leather seats with the m logos, the steering wheel with the m logo stitching, the engine cover, the m-kontour wheels it came with. It has a luxuray package thats why it is different then the other M3's in the E36 model. Why the hell would i mod up a 328 to look like an m3 when i could of used all the money i used to mod up (MY M3) to buy an M3. Thats nonsence. I would never mod up a 328 to look like an M3 when i could just buy an M3. Anyways its real and its nice looking and once I get the Euro M3 Chrome 18 inch wheels on it. it will look better then anyones E36 on the market.

billym3

billym3 said:
The VIN number doesn't lie. I had all the exterior and interior mods done to it myself so trust me its a real M3. You can tell its a real M3 by the vin number, the leather seats with the m logos, the steering wheel with the m logo stitching, the engine cover, the m-kontour wheels it came with. It has a luxuray package thats why it is different then the other M3's in the E36 model. Why the hell would i mod up a 328 to look like an m3 when i could of used all the money i used to mod up (MY M3) to buy an M3. Thats nonsence. I would never mod up a 328 to look like an M3 when i could just buy an M3. Anyways its real and its nice looking and once I get the Euro M3 Chrome 18 inch wheels on it. it will look better then anyones E36 on the market.

billym3
I guess you should change your name to billy_realm3. [;)]

I guess people here are skeptical, given the recent car hoaxes and all. There are a fair number of fake E36 M3s out there.

Anybody can buy all of the M3 specific parts, down to the engine cover, and make a perfect clone, doorsills and all.

Your car has a presence about it. It will certainly shine when you put the blinged E46 M3 rims on.

However, there are a lot of very fine E36 M3s out there with a lot more money thrown into them than yours, so I wouldn't claim to be the top dog just yet, even after you get the wheels.

YMMV. [:D]