Where did the third pedal go?

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
Visited my local BMW dealership to glance at the new M3 convertible... like the missing peddle...

BUt wouldn't this be a problem to hard-core manual drivers who preffer the third pedal?

I assume it automates the clutch removal since there is no clutch pedal... shifts knobs on the steering wheel I think are kinda misplaced..

PuShAkOv said:
Visited my local BMW dealership to glance at the new M3 convertible... like the missing peddle...

BUt wouldn't this be a problem to hard-core manual drivers who preffer the third pedal?

I assume it automates the clutch removal since there is no clutch pedal... shifts knobs on the steering wheel I think are kinda misplaced..

Oh my god... don't tell me you saw a SMG M3 and you think:
(1) It's missing the 3rd pedal
(2) The shift knobs on the steering wheel are misplaced

Will the next think you say be "There is no gear 1 to 5 on the shifting knob.." ??

Have you ever heard there is something called "SMG" ? Didn't the saleman give you some introduction for this system ?

Last edited:

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
Re: Re: Where did the third pedal go?

achen said:
Oh my god... don't tell me you saw a SMG M3 and you think:
(1) It's missing the 3rd pedal
(2) The shift knobs on the steering wheel are misplaced

Will the next think you say be "There is no gear 1 to 5 on the shifting knob.." ??

Have you ever heard there is something called "SMG" ? Didn't the saleman give you some introduction for this system ?
I am just 19... all of them ignore me. [mad]

Re: Re: Re: Where did the third pedal go?

PuShAkOv said:
I am just 19... all of them ignore me. [mad]
1st of all, it's not your fault that you didn't know something, however it is the saleman's BIG fault not introducing this system to you, you are 19 but you drive a BMW E46 330 Cab!!! If they judge ppl by age, show them the key to get a little bit respect.

2nd, I saw you being a M3 fan and showing the eagar movitation in purchasing a M3, a while ago I saw you said you might consider buy one this year, how can you have no idea about SMG?? This is the first question you ask yourself when you're buying a E46 M3 - SMG or 6MT ?

FYI, you can get some info about SMG here -- http://www.m3smg.com

Last edited:

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did the third pedal go?

achen said:
1st of all, it's not your fault that you didn't know something, however it is the saleman's BIG fault not introducing this system to you, you are 19 but you drive a BMW E46 330 Cab!!! If they judge ppl by age, show them the key to get a little bit respect.

2nd, I saw you being a M3 fan and showing the eagar movitation in purchasing a M3, a while ago I saw you said you might consider buy one this year, how can you have no idea about SMG?? This is the first question you ask yourself when you're buying a E46 M3 - SMG or 6MT ?

FYI, you can get some info about SMG here -- http://www.m3smg.com
Actually,.. I think I would buy one in 3 years. This is the time when my sister turns 15 1/2 and she would need a car... my car.

Also, it will be about the time when the new M3 would come out... so that I can secure my design for ~400HP car.

About SMG.. I knew about it.. but I thought you had an option of 'real' manual (with all pedals) and an automatic option on SMG car.... so I was surprised when there was no pedal since hard core manual drivers would not like that.

Unless I become filthy rich or something... BMW is the car I will settel for.

Last edited:

epj3

Push you have to get manual...there are so many foolproof systems in them now - thats why you never really hear about anyone (except ricers) going 60 mph and putting it in reverse or first gear.

Hey, howcome the M cars have such stiff clutches? I have sat in the M3, M5, M Roadster, and M Coupe, and all those cars had really stiff clutches. Why would BMW make the clutches sooo stiff? It seems like it would be hard to deal with as a daily driver (or maybe because I'm only 5'7" 160lbs [V] ).

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
The E34 M5 was one of the first to have the option of super light clutch. when it changed to 3.8 for the euro spec. however i don't know if this option is available in the states/anymore. clutch is stiffer than the rest of the range because the springs that pull the plates together are alot stronger( for the extra power [8] ) the superlight clutch increases the hydraulic cylinder sizes at one end meaning less force is needed to open up the plates. this is nice but was only done because of the touring ability and the ease of use around town. unfortunatly having only ever driven an e34 with this type of clutch i can't really comment further. Remember though the M-power cars are Mans cars for drivers rather than boulivard crusiers. so a nice meaty clutch is what they seem to want.[driving]

PuShAkOv

get the manual its a better option if you a good smooth quick driver. about the salesman ignoring you. take a lesson from this. (alougth mines an E30 325i) if there smart they will treat you with respect. next time you go into the dealership park right outside the showroom and make a song and dance with the throttle. blip each time your gonna start to move. that'll get there attention and if their smart they'll realise that in the future you WILL be spending alot of cash with them. as you already have a nice new big car they should jump on you like a largebreasted cheerleader.[:D] [driving]

epj3

mikev said:
The E34 M5 was one of the first to have the option of super light clutch. when it changed to 3.8 for the euro spec. however i don't know if this option is available in the states/anymore. clutch is stiffer than the rest of the range because the springs that pull the plates together are alot stronger( for the extra power [8] ) the superlight clutch increases the hydraulic cylinder sizes at one end meaning less force is needed to open up the plates. this is nice but was only done because of the touring ability and the ease of use around town. unfortunatly having only ever driven an e34 with this type of clutch i can't really comment further. Remember though the M-power cars are Mans cars for drivers rather than boulivard crusiers. so a nice meaty clutch is what they seem to want.[driving]

PuShAkOv

get the manual its a better option if you a good smooth quick driver. about the salesman ignoring you. take a lesson from this. (alougth mines an E30 325i) if there smart they will treat you with respect. next time you go into the dealership park right outside the showroom and make a song and dance with the throttle. blip each time your gonna start to move. that'll get there attention and if their smart they'll realise that in the future you WILL be spending alot of cash with them. as you already have a nice new big car they should jump on you like a largebreasted cheerleader.[:D] [driving]
I did that but they werent impressed [rofl] Just kiddin...

I think for business that the dealers do not respect younger people. I guess the future of their company is not effected by the younger people who are ALREADY interested in the cars. My friends dad is a dealer and he took me out in a Z4 (he drove...obviously) but all the other dealers ignored me.

MrElussive said:
Hey, howcome the M cars have such stiff clutches? I have sat in the M3, M5, M Roadster, and M Coupe, and all those cars had really stiff clutches. Why would BMW make the clutches sooo stiff? It seems like it would be hard to deal with as a daily driver (or maybe because I'm only 5'7" 160lbs [V] ).
The clutch is so heavy I thought I was going to fly through the sunroof!! 5'3" 110 lbs...

Ultimate DRIVING Machine

and driving the M is even more machine and pure. same with old porsches and stuff....they wanted to be driven. a driver is supposed to challenge the car as the car means to challenge the driver....that is the chemistry of those heavenly machines!

BTM3

SMG rocks period. put it in sport mode, turn off dsc, tap the smg button to that extra setting (6). floor it, click through all the gears and tell me that you'll want a stick again???? i dare ya. plus.. its funny when valets have to park the car or the detail crew that comes to my office to wash my car. I once watched as it took four guys to figure out how to get my car moved, i didn't say a thing.. finally one guy came over and asked me how to put it in drive. i told him to tap it to the right until it said '1'. he laughed..... he told me he didn't tell the other guys so that he can move it whenever it needs to be cleaned.

i know exactly what PuShAkOv is referring to as im in the looking for a bmw 3 series but wayyy back before i was 'Hooked' on bmw's i went through other show rooms of smaller town cars like peugeot, nissan, ford the usual and they all totolly ingored me being only 17 :( but the funny thing is i walked into a bmw show room and within a minute i was helped out by 2 salesmen and instantly was offered a drink[thumb] but i do have to admit i had to kinda dress up smart to get the attention from anyone at all but i got A* treatment and i was just wanting some information on the 3 series lol. Nice going bmw :D